Author Topic: Great day for my Cali III today!  (Read 9358 times)

Offline sidecarnutz

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 976
  • Location: SE Virginia
Great day for my Cali III today!
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
Woo Hoo! Got the old beast running better than it has in the 2 years I've owned it! It had been running badly and intermittently on one cylinder. I made new spark plug wires. Helped, but not a fix. Started cleaning electrical connections and checking grounds... Bingo!  :+1 The bike IS 25 years old after all! Took it for a spin this afternoon. Wow! Now this is how these old mills are supposed to run!!  ;-T After it was nice and hot I had to turn down the idle screws. The idle had gone from 700 to 1500 rpm.
Dang. I was worried I'd be out $200 for another Dyna box. Looks like it was just a poor ground.

Really happy with it now.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: Great day for my Cali III today!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
Very good!

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Great day for my Cali III today!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »
Woo Hoo! Got the old beast running better than it has in the 2 years I've owned it! It had been running badly and intermittently on one cylinder. I made new spark plug wires. Helped, but not a fix. Started cleaning electrical connections and checking grounds... Bingo!  :+1 The bike IS 25 years old after all! Took it for a spin this afternoon. Wow! Now this is how these old mills are supposed to run!!  ;-T After it was nice and hot I had to turn down the idle screws. The idle had gone from 700 to 1500 rpm.
Dang. I was worried I'd be out $200 for another Dyna box. Looks like it was just a poor ground.

Really happy with it now.

That's great, and another example of the old saying (well, I don't how how old it is but I live by it) that "95% of all motorcycle electrical problems are caused by a bad ground or a bad battery."

We always want the problem to be something we can unbolt and replace, like a coil or a box or a connector, but it's generally bad grounds, as you found.

Happy trails!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here