Author Topic: How many new Moto Guzzis are sold in the USA (annually)?  (Read 13533 times)

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
How many new Moto Guzzis are sold in the USA (annually)?
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:55:16 PM »
Two questions:
1.  How many new Moto Guzzis are sold in the USA (annually)?  I can't find a definitive answer to this question.

2.  And, how many new Guzzis are presently being manufactured (annually)?
NO longer can ride

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »
I don't have current numbers, but a few years ago it was in the rough ballpark of 500  / 5000 give or take.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
I don't have current numbers, but a few years ago it was in the rough ballpark of 500  / 5000 give or take.
Kev, I found similar numbers in several threads on different motorcycle forums but in each case, the poster said that they were guessing.  Those estimates may be correct but it would be interesting to know the real numbers.
If those ARE the real numbers, it's amazing that any motorcycle dealer would bother to carry the line. 

Of all of the bikes that I've owned since 1969 (and it's a LOT of motorcycles), Moto Guzzi and old, BMW airheads are the only bikes that have truly stirred my soul.
NO longer can ride

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How many new Moto Guzzis are sold in the USA (annually)?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
The most recent numbers I have heard were 7,000 for the world with 10% of that to North America...so 700 to the US and Canada.  Pretty small when you think about it.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »
Would be interesting to see how these numbers match up with other imports, MV, Ducati, BMW, Triumph ect.

canuguzzi

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:32:21 PM »
Let's see, last year there was me and...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
Jackson those were real enough as reported by dealers here over the years.

Lucian, those numbers have been discussed here too over the years.

If memory serves big round ballpark numbers would be Ducati, Triumph, then BMW in ascending order, maybe 10-20k, 40-50k, 125k worldwide.

Those may be off give or take but certainly give you perspective vs. Guzzi.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
Kev, I found similar numbers in several threads on different motorcycle forums but in each case, the poster said that they were guessing.  Those estimates may be correct but it would be interesting to know the real numbers.
If those ARE the real numbers, it's amazing that any motorcycle dealer would bother to carry the line. 

Of all of the bikes that I've owned since 1969 (and it's a LOT of motorcycles), Moto Guzzi and old, BMW airheads are the only bikes that have truly stirred my soul.

The most recent numbers mentioned by Galluzzi in an interview a year, or so, ago was 7,xxx worldwide and about 10% for USA. 

Most interesting was that 50% of production was V7.

Maybe there will be some interviews this year when the new models are released and Galluzzi is interviewed, again.

Like Kev said.  It gives you perspective on the brand.  + or - a few hundred units isn't going to change the fact that Guzzi is a niche brand among niche brands.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Penderic

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:35:55 PM »
"When I grow up, which Moto Guzzi will I get?"  ;D

For such a small market, it is amazing to have all those different Moto Guzzi models available!

And it is not cheap having to provide the different model parts and services legally required for all the world markets, make money and still compete with the big producers.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
We've discussed this in the past.  I am amazed that Guzzi can do as well as they do with such a very low production and sales volume.

Just think, most medium-sized H-D dealers sell that or more in an given year- from one retail store, more bikes than Guzzi sells in both the US and Canada!

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 09:55:33 PM »
The most recent numbers mentioned by Galluzzi in an interview a year, or so, ago was 7,xxx worldwide and about 10% for USA. 
Specifically, they made 6800 units in 2013, up from 6600 in 2012. http://www.piaggiogroup.com/en/archive/press/piaggio-group-2013-draft-financial-statements  They appear not to have shared that figure for 2014 as of now.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
With those small numbers, I'm surprised they can get custom speedometers and tachs with the Moto Guzzi logo printed on them!

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re:
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 10:59:49 PM »
Specifically, they made 6800 units in 2013, up from 6600 in 2012. http://www.piaggiogroup.com/en/archive/press/piaggio-group-2013-draft-financial-statements  They appear not to have shared that figure for 2014 as of now.

Thanks for digging that up.   ;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 04:54:44 AM »
I'd bet Guzzi can't truly tell you how many bikes they make per year let alone how many were delivered to each continent. 
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
I'd bet Guzzi can't truly tell you how many bikes they make per year let alone how many were delivered to each continent. 

;D ;D I'll bet you're right..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 06:21:50 AM »
"Despite the difficulties on the markets and in the two-wheeler and commercial vehicle segments in which the Piaggio Group operates, the results for 2013 reflect solid performance in terms of product success, market strength – with leadership positions in a number of geographical areas – and profitability

European leadership in two-wheelers, new sales records for Vespa and Moto Guzzi"
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 06:50:14 AM »

LOL That's probably about right!!

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »
Frankly, I think they are doing a great job.  Considering they're manufacturing and supporting three different sizes of new bikes (V7 Series, Big Block Series and 1400 Cal) plus the support for all past models/sizes out of one plant, all on a very small volume basis, is really pretty amazing.

Further, they're also competitive in all of the market segments they chose.  The V7 Series, Norge, Stelvio, Griso, 1400 Cali, are all very good bikes when honestly compared to others in their segments.  So where Guzzi (or Piaggio) choses to play, they're respectable, they understand and play to their strengths.

Naturally, the downside of the smallness of their numbers, 650 or so into the US annually, is that the dealer network will also be small.  There will not be a dealer in every neighborhood, or every State for that matter.  Adjustments in bike ownership will need to be made!  Where possible, I do my own repair/maintenance work.  I also try and plan an annual "pass-by" to Rose Farms so Jim B. can pass his magic wand over it and also tell me if I'm not doing something important, often enough.  The "pass-by" this year is going to be on the way to the MN Rally in Grand Marais in late-June.

Every year I try and attend the European Rider's Rally in Burkesville, KY in mid-May.  Normally about 300 bikes in attendance and, since the event is sponsored by the Nashville BMW Dealer and the area BMWMOA, the majority of the bikes are Beemers.  Of those, a very high percentage are the GS's and a walk around shows an example of every GS that was ever made equipped with every possible accessory that was ever offered.  It's like a Harley fest, only with less chrome.  Last year there were three Guzzis -- my '12 Stelvio, a V12 Sport and one other.  It was interesting to talk with the other owners and answer their questions about the Stelvio -- why I bought it, problems I'd had, how close is my dealer (I show them my cell phone), does that tank really hold 8.5 Ga, etc, etc.  I'm looking forward to going again in the near future.

Ride safe and enjoy your Guzzi.  Being an owner, you're a member of a very small group of who can claim that distinction.

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »
Moto Guzzi is a small boutique product line for Piaggio, but it is also a status line. Piaggio is the 3or4 largest 2,3,4 wheel vehicle in the world. There is HUGE buying power with those total volumes, which is why the bikes have a great price and custom logo's.
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »
Jackson those were real enough as reported by dealers here over the years.

Lucian, those numbers have been discussed here too over the years.

If memory serves big round ballpark numbers would be Ducati, Triumph, then BMW in ascending order, maybe 10-20k, 40-50k, 125k worldwide.

Those may be off give or take but certainly give you perspective vs. Guzzi.

My memory wasn't too far off, except maybe Ducati, I'm a little surprised there.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

Ducati - 45k
BMW - 123k

Can't find 2014 Triumph numbers, but they broke the 50k mark for their  7/2012-6/2013 financial year (they run a July-June Financial year):

https://rideapart.com/articles/triumph-motorcycles-hit-50000-sales-worldwide

Ahh, wait a little more digging 2013-14 = 54k

http://www.statista.com/statistics/419363/sales-of-triumph-motorcycle/

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Gootsz

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
I just bought a Custom 1400 from dealer in Pensacola. They sold 21 Guzzi's last year and were in the top 5% of dealers.

How do they even stay in business, Guzzi that is.

Micky
Gootsz
Satellite Beach, FL
2009 GRISO
2014 CUSTOM
1975 BMW R90/6
THERE ARE NO WINNERS IN ROOM FULL OF LOSERS

Offline aschem

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
Saw a white 1400 at the newish MG dealer in Salt Lake City. I would love to own one, but I would have to sell my 07 CALVIN 1st, and the price difference is a little too much for me right now.

canuguzzi

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
I just bought a Custom 1400 from dealer in Pensacola. They sold 21 Guzzi's last year and were in the top 5% of dealers.

How do they even stay in business, Guzzi that is.

Micky

It could be a marque business and little more. The development work, what there is doesn't change much year to year so it isn't like they have to produce a new model all the time.

They could probably make enough engine castings to last a decade and then work them as needed. The electrics and so on are add ons.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »
Isn't KTM #2 and closing in on BMW ?

Dusty

I didn't even look, but that link I posted earlier says they surpassed them this year:

January 21, 2014 - (Press release edited by webBikeWorld) - KTM has doubled sales volume since 2008, with 123,859 motorcycles sold worldwide in 2013 (107,142 units sold in 2012). The most popular model is the new KTM 1190 Adventure (report). KTM's recent 1-2 victory in the "Dakar" South American rally probably helped also.

KTM now claims they are the "fastest growing motorcycle brand in the world" over the last three years.

KTM has contract manufacturing and their own manufacturing facilities in India, Malaysia and Colombia (of all places). CFMoto in China will produce KTM bikes and more factories are planned in Thailand, Brazil and the Philippines. The plan is to increase production to 200,000 motorcycles by 2016.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Moto

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
These are interesting and believable numbers. BUT if I take the ratio of Ducati to Guzzi production I get 45k/7k = 6.43, and I'm absolutely certain I've seen way more than 6 times as many Ducatis as Guzzis on the road here in the U.S. It must be that Ducati exports a higher proportion of its worldwide production to the U.S. than Guzzi.

Of course it might be a matter of differential perception, put down to the fact that every single Ducati is painted bright red!

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »
These are interesting and believable numbers. BUT if I take the ratio of Ducati to Guzzi production I get 45k/7k = 6.43, and I'm absolutely certain I've seen way more than 6 times as many Ducatis as Guzzis on the road here in the U.S. It must be that Ducati exports a higher proportion of its worldwide production to the U.S. than Guzzi.

Of course it might be a matter of differential perception, put down to the fact that every single Ducati is painted bright red!

That's because most people own multiple Guzzi's and can only ride one at a time.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
Joking aside. I might not even see more Ducatis around than I do Guzzis, but part may be where I go...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Brightblade

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Guzzi may not have an issue staying in business depending how big the manufacturing over head is.... But I can't see dealers staying in business with numbers that low.  Guzzi would have to be a second line our they do a high volume of parts sales and service.

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »
People always ask me how many V11 lemans were made?
Is there any data on that?

Penderic

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »
Moto Guzzi. Each one a special edition!  :BEER:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here