Author Topic: Shimmed rocker shafts, roundfin Tonti  (Read 3157 times)

Offline guzzista

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1075
  • Location: SF Bay Area
Shimmed rocker shafts, roundfin Tonti
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
This may have been covered before , but first time I noticed a Tonti round fin( LM1) with shimmed rocker shafts(no springs or bronze washers), something a PO  did a while back.  Any thoughts  other than on a street motor, ( which this is) does not make a whole lot of difference?
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Vasco DG

  • Guest
Re: Shimmed rocker shafts, roundfin Tonti
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »
The angle of the pushrods ensures that the springs and washers will work just fine. It's a system that was used for forty five years without issue. Why fix what isn't broken?

Pete

Offline guzzista

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1075
  • Location: SF Bay Area
Re: Shimmed rocker shafts, roundfin Tonti
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »
That's what I thought. Back to stock she goes. Thanks Pete
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Vasco DG

  • Guest
Re: Shimmed rocker shafts, roundfin Tonti
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
The way I read it was that the spring and washer had been removed and the end float removed by shimming? To me that seems un-necessary.

With a roundfin there is, (From memory, I haven't been inside one for a while!) only one washer and a spring as the steel rocker support precludes the need for a bronze washer on the thrust end. The squarefins with their aluminium carriers require two extra washers to help prevent galling.

Pete

Offline guzzista

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1075
  • Location: SF Bay Area
Re: Shimmed rocker shafts, roundfin Tonti
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 03:16:56 PM »
 Yes, the (bronze) washers and the springs had been packed away and some hardened steel shims were in place. In any case I put  the original bits back. I also found a 2mm steel spacer between the (correct type) rear drive and swingarm ( LM1) . Needless bodgery has taken place on this one...hopefully I wont find alloy gears in the timing case
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 03:18:55 PM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: Shimmed rocker shafts, roundfin Tonti
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
The shim at the rear axle was to space a fat tire away from the swing arm.  I carry a 5mm shim in case I get a rubber-rubber during an on-the-road tire change.

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here