Author Topic: Should I modify a "new" carb slide?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline SED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1629
Should I modify a "new" carb slide?
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »
Recently I replaced worn carb slides with new to the tune of about $160 and it idles much better. 

However, it occasionally pops through the carbs.  I solved this with the old slides by milling off a bit of the bottom of the slides to reduce the cutaway. 

BTW it is a LMIII with PHF36s and pod filters.

I hate to modify (almost) new parts, but I also hate spending another 160 clams.  What would you do?

Thanks,
Shawn
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline JoeW

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 2517
    • The Guzzi Doctor
Re: Should I modify a "new" carb slide?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:17:44 PM »
I'd live with an occasional pop. I assume it only happens at idle and runs fine otherwise, correct?
Joe Walano

Offline SED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1629
Re: Should I modify a "new" carb slide?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
It pops at small throttle openings when backing off the throttle slightly. 

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Vasco DG

  • Guest
Re: Should I modify a "new" carb slide?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »
You could try going a bit bigger in the pilot jet and adjusting the bleed to suit first. Probably won't work but worth a stab.

Pete

Offline SED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1629
Re: Should I modify a "new" carb slide?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »
You could try going a bit bigger in the pilot jet and adjusting the bleed to suit first. Probably won't work but worth a stab.

Pete

Pete, this is where I must hang my head in shame...  Years ago you told me that an LMIII with pods wants 50 slides (which is why I milled the originals) but I when ordering new I took a chance and went for stock 60s.  (I still have the stock airbox...)  Pilot, main, needle, and atomizer are all as you suggested.

Shawn
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here