Author Topic: black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?  (Read 3498 times)

Online bad Chad

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 10045
  • Location: Central Il
black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:56:09 PM »
Sometime when reading post from various folks I find the text littered with little black triangles with question marks in them, this started with the new incarnation of the form, anybody know what thats about?
2025 V85TT
1988 YX600 Radian
2016 CSC 250TT

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:00:19 PM »
It's coming from text processors that have code for things like line breaks and paragraphs that this forum doesn't read properly.  So it lays down dingbats instead.

Offline Triple Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5930
    • Lakeland Services Company
  • Location: North Central North Carolina
Re: black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:24:16 PM »
I was going to post that I've had that trouble too, but sent a line of symbols to demonstrate, and they all got through fine.  Here they are:

 ≈ ≠ � ≤ ≥ Δ ∞ > �  ⅛ � ⅓ ⅜ � ⅝ ⅔ � ⅞   � � � � � √ ϕ Ω �

Maybe Luap expanded the character set recently.

Edit:  They all looked correct in the "preview" window.  Squared, cubed, and the degree symbol were among the ones that got converted to question marks.  One quarter and one half didn't make it through either.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:07:54 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

HardAspie

  • Guest
Re: black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:32:04 PM »
Happened to me too. I think dingbats is the right name for it.

HardAspie

  • Guest
Re: black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:48:30 PM »
Oh I thought I would add that I found this thread disappointing. I saw, "black triangles" and thought this was about those thingies people see floating in the skies.

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
 I've only witnessed the cigar shaped thingies floating in the sky  :huh:

  Dusty

Offline Two Checks

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6036
Re: black triangles with question marks in text, anyone else?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:52:23 AM »
I se the cigar shaped things floating in the water.... :shocked:
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here