Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 5192 times)

Offline tonUPRacer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 596
    • My Racer FB page
  • Location: Appleton, WI
Reality Check
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »
I was toying with the idea of someday purchasing a replica Shelby Cobra (complete but used), but after I realized I couldn't repair our dryer last night, buying hand built sports car for over $40,000 is not one of my best plans.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Scud

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1190
  • Location: Carlsbad, CA
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »
I do a most of the work on my motorcycles and those 4-wheel-thingies (cars and trucks).  I recently could not repair our dryer - I think probably not because I lacked the skill, but lacked the interest to educate myself enough about it to make the repair. The repair tech got it fixed in 30 minutes for less than $200. I had already spent about 2 hours between reading, watching how-to videos, and attempting to fix it myself.

I've had some old cars and they're pretty simple to work on. In fact, the Guzzi engines seem in many ways like they are one slice off an old Ford V8. So if you can work on your Guzzi, you can work on a Cobra.

Maybe you should try to rent one for a weekend before you take the plunge - see if it really "moves" you.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
A Factory Five kit is ~ $20k, so it would be possible to build one for well under $40k. Two of my uncle's did - total cost was around $30k and the results were spectacular.
Charlie

Offline rocker59

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 24351
  • "diplomatico di moto"
  • Location: Aux Arcs
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
A guy at work, with his dad, built a Factory Five car last year.  Side Oiler 427, and all.

Don't know how much they spent, but it's pretty badass.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2017 Triumph T100 Bonneville
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline grinmaul

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 45
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »
A lot depends on the make of the kit car, my boss bought one with out checking it out very much, it was built in 84 and the kit was from west coast cobras, and what a piece of crap this thing is, the fuel tank is sandwiched in the trunk between the floor and top of body just behind the seats, you can not take the car apart to get at it, i am going to have to cut the tank up.

then try to find a way to mount something else in the same space, but smaller i guess.

the plastic tank has swollen and is cracking the body between the trunk and the seats. there are a lot of other problems, it is my long term nightmare:)

my point is if you start looking again, do your research on who is making a quality kit these days. driving it around is crazy fun still:)

Offline grinmaul

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 45
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »
3 reply's in the time it took me to type that:)

The Factory Five is the kit i would have told him to get, but when i was pricing them it was 40k plus a motor and trans.

but he paid a crazy 50k for this crappy one, no power brakes, drum rears.

Offline tonUPRacer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 596
    • My Racer FB page
  • Location: Appleton, WI
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
I know I wouldn't attempt a kit, I'd just buy one that someone else built, hopefully a professional. But at some point I would have to maintain it and that is where I might have issues. I know the Factory 5, Backdraft, Superformance, and ERA kits are highly regarded. If money is no object buy a Kirkham, better than the original article most say. http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Online rtbickel

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 909
  • Location: Dallas
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
You would probably be better off buying something with the 289 in it unless you really, really want a hairy-chested full-on race engine, which is what the 427 side-oiler basically is, requiring the requisite amount of maintenance. The 289 is a jewel that can also be coaxed to a scary HP level.  Small block Chevys will fit too, if you're not a purist.
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline BRIO

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 257
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
Iv'e been drooling over these for a while. Maybe some day...

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/gallery.shtml#


« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:33:46 PM by BRIO »

Offline tonUPRacer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 596
    • My Racer FB page
  • Location: Appleton, WI
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »
You would probably be better off buying something with the 289 in it unless you really, really want a hairy-chested full-on race engine, which is what the 427 side-oiler basically is, requiring the requisite amount of maintenance. The 289 is a jewel that can also be coaxed to a scary HP level.  Small block Chevys will fit too, if you're not a purist.
I'd go the 289 FIA route in a heartbeat. Much more streetable.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline cj750

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 790
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
I'd go the 289 FIA route in a heartbeat. Much more streetable.

"Streetable" often equals "slow" but not in this case. Just that there's more working room in the engine bay, parts are more readily available and a lot more affordable, and you get a better balanced chassis. 
I have a buddy in Mustang, Oklahoma that built an FIA replica ~5 years ago. (Using a Shelby-sourced kit.) I've ridden in (and driven) Tri-power GTOs, Hemi Mopars and Cobra Jet Fords, and this thing will not only accelerate with the best of them, it'll stop and go around corners like you won't believe. Of course its loud, you feel every bump in the road, weather protection is minimal, and there's hardly any trunk space, so its not a good choice for long-distance touring. But as a sports car, its off-the-charts fun.
More to the point, aside from a solid-lifter cam which requires periodic valve adjustments, its really no more maintenance-intensive than a typical family car. It's so mechanically simple there's really not a lot to give trouble or require attention.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline CalVin2007

  • fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 762
  • Location: Central Kansas,USA
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 04:16:40 PM »
  The small block Ford can be made to be EXTREMELY powerful...at least the equal of the side oiler 427 of old...and with a serious weight and price advantage.  :evil: I've built and drag raced one.  :thumb:

  Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
 Terry , I always wanted a Cunningham with a Caddy motor .

 Dusty

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
Lotus Super Seven (now Caterham).  Source of the saying "Lotus Elbow" (cause no doors and the side curtains leaked).

If you can fit in one they are the greatest little sports car ever (IMHO).

If not sold on a Cobra (I'd go with the Daytona version) then just get a C3 or C4 Vette.  Modify it to your needs.  Easy hp and suspension upgrades.  MUCH cheaper and can be just as fast.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
I've built some Ford engines. The 427 is a serious boat anchor if you need one.  :smiley: If I was building a driver, I'd go for a small block.
Dorcia's Mustang originally had a big block in it, but I built up a turbocharged 351C for it. Much lighter, better handling, etc. Not original, of course.. depends on what you want.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5581
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 12:56:20 AM »
+1 on not putting a 427 sideolier in a replica. You can get a Windsor 427 stroker dyno tested from summit ready to drop a lot cheaper.
The Ford FE blocks are also heavy as previously mentioned. I've had a few FE fords (352, 390, 428 and they are pretty simple, but you will have an easier finding Chevy or Windsor performance parts.
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 06:53:19 AM »
Quote
Windsor

Go with the Cleveland.. those heads can really flow some air..  :smiley: without much of a weight penalty.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here