Author Topic: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Stevex

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1052
Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:27:08 AM »
Yesterday I came across a long lost photo album full of photos I'd taken in the early 80's.
Apologies for quality as obviously I had to scan them.
I bought my first LM2 in 1981 and this photo was taken in about '83 after I'd completely
rebuilt it. The paint scheme is taken from the same one used by Sports Motorcycles who used to race Italian bikes here
in the UK.
The frame has been nickel plated and has a Sprint twin headlight fairing; I've been trying to find the same fairing
for ages but they're more scarce than rocking horse droppings.
The rack was fitted to take luggage around Europe (2 up, with the wife!, and we're still going strong  :laugh:)





These next 2 photos are the same bike with a different paint scheme, a year or so later.
I'd also fitted an aircraft fuel filler cap to the tank and the MG logo on the tank was done in gold leaf.








In 1981 I was in the Air Force, stationed in northern West Germany. I rode from there on the Le Mans to Le Mans in France to see the 24 Heures du Mans 24 hour Endurance Race. It seemed the right place to take the Guzzi at the time.
I took this photo of a racing Le Mans, but have no further info.





Finally, this photo was in the album, but I have no idea where it came from or when it was taken.
I'm guessing it was late 70's early 80's at the Isle of Man TT. Nice photo though.





Offline RANDM

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Location: Mornington Peninsula Aust.
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:57:48 AM »
Good stuff,
Like the idea of the gold leaf.  I once had a tank done black
with Bridal Veil lace panels down each side. The lace was
done in pure metal flake and looked like chrome - came up
great. Always wanted to do a tank logo in that, might yet.

Cheers Maurie.

Online chuck peterson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5518
  • Location: New Haven CT
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:06:06 AM »
Great stuff, thanks
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline cruzziguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6151
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »
Those are very cool photos. i can see why you're still seeking out one of those fairings - very nice.

Bet our TT pilot was glad to not have a sump 'stension. :boozing:

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

canuck750

  • Guest
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
Coll pictures, nice history there!

Offline blackcat

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 9181
  • Location: Floriduh
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/index.php/6

They still make a dual headlight fairing but not quite the same as yours, and it is a full fairing.  Have you contacted them about your old fairing, as they might still have the molds. Great fairings and really well made.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
 Brilliant  :bike-037:

 Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
Nice stuff, old LeMans are THE BEST!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Stevex

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1052
Re: Some old Guzzi photos from the 80's.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »
http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/index.php/6

They still make a dual headlight fairing but not quite the same as yours, and it is a full fairing.  Have you contacted them about your old fairing, as they might still have the molds. Great fairings and really well made.

Yep, I've contacted them. They scrapped the mould. Only way to get one now is find a used one, I'm guessing there aren't many left out there.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here