Author Topic: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today  (Read 11002 times)

Offline jas67

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5438
  • Location: Palmyra, PA
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »
.....
The Street 3 was a fine machine-well made and all that-if I lived in the WV area I may have kept it-or not.  But it would be fun there.
So, my comments are subjective to me and where I live.  Hope that clears t up a bit for you.  I should have been more specific.

If I lived in South Jersey where it is flat and most roads are straight, I'd likely not bother owning my Ducati Monster.   In fact on visits to Kev M, given the choice between his V7 Stone and Jenn's Monster, I chose the V7.    I'd be frustrated riding the Monster w/o curves to lean into and steep climbs to enjoy the power on (for longer than you can on flats).

Thankfully, I live where we have twisty mountain roads.   :laugh: :evil:

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline sdcr

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2144
  • Location: Pennsylvania
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
Aquired my 1983 Moto Guzzi Le Mans III from a friend in 2012. Brought home on my trailer.



image upload


Pictured here this past summer after much rehab work. Almost every rubber component has been replaced, and the top end rebuilt  by Charlie Mullendore's shop, Antietam Classic Cycles. Runs and sounds very nice with laFranconi Competitione mufflers.




« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:31:50 PM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »
I think some of the small-block comments in this thread might explain why I like the way my 1200 Sport 2v makes hp vs how my sadly-departed 8vSE Griso produced power.  (Still miss that old girl!)   Granted, the 2v doesn't have the kick-a** torque of the 8vSE 1200ccc engine, but ...... for some reason, the older (still in the stable) 2v Sport makes power in such a linear fashion, and exhibits no surprises ...... it just pull all the way to redline.  While making those Chevy V8 sounds!

Amazing .... it does it with pushrod valve actuation, too.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Kev m

  • Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 31427
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 06:23:21 AM »
Ah this thread took an interesting turn with which I fully agree.

I don't fault the guys who want the big power and performance bikes. Have at it.

Me, I joked for the first 20 years of my riding life that I wasn't yet "mature enough" for a sport bike. During that time I'd flirt with the idea, I'd demo them, borrow them, ride press bikes - anything from a Vmax or Suzuki Bandit, or Buells, to the early K1200RS or K1200GT.

I bought bikes that were some compromise between touring and sport in my mind, like an R1100RS, Breva 1100, and eventually even a Buell S3T to try and quell that curiosity.

Now maybe it would have turned out differently if, like Jay notes, I had wound up in the Poconos 2 years ago instead of the flat Jersey Pine Barrens. If I was riding the Buell it was just flat and straight and WOT for no apparent reason. With no real curves to challenge me, I found instead I was constantly succumbing to the temptation to just go fast. 

And I wasn't here all that long before I realized as much as I liked the Buell (like the B11 and R11 before it, but the Buell even more so because it was such a unique, mostly hand built, bike that felt like a production club racer) that in the end it just wasn't "me". And 9 out of 10 times I was choosing a V7 or Sportster over it. Heck, I really like Jenn's Duc, but I rarely ride it too.

I realized that I was never going to be mature enough (read that as disciplined enough) for a Sport Bike

So I sold the 100 rwhp Buell, and delighted in doing more with less.

The occasional romp on a high hp bike aside, I really do prefer to ride a slow bike fast rather than a fast bike slow.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jpv7

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 409
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 01:02:55 PM »
Ditto for me...sold my Monster 1000 (rode it on the street way too fast), and my 916 track bike (yes I cried...) and got a V7ii Special.  I love to ride it hard, but find the suspension very poor.  Working on fixing that, and she will be perfect for me.  Plus the insurance is a LOT cheaper. 

The best part is that I can now ride it slow too, and it doesn't bother me like on the faster machines.

ponti_33609

  • Guest
V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2016, 06:42:35 PM »




The day I got her and where we are are today. Still fiddling.  Two years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:11:35 PM by ponti33602 »

Offline stevet

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2016, 11:07:52 PM »
Kev, check your WG inbox for a PM.

Thanks,
Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Online Kev m

  • Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 31427
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 07:31:57 AM »
Kev, check your WG inbox for a PM.

Thanks,
Steve.

Replied - I'd seen it over the weekend, but it was too much to type on a Droid lol.

 :thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline lorengo70

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Location: Toronto
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »
My V7 II purchased on May 2016. This pic is from the first ride I took after picking her up from the dealer (seems like ages ago).




photo uploader


This pic is after adding a back rack, dart marlin flyscreen and engine guard. Just put her away for her winter sleep last week end. Rode her for for 12k km since I got her last spring. She is being greatly missed already. Cant wait till next spring.



2016 V7 II Stone (Black)
2015 Suzuki TU250

Offline darkstar1269

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 81
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »
I got my 2015 V7 Special about 4 months ago, the girlfriend has a V7R and it was just too much fun to pass on with the great deals they were offering on this bike over at GP Motorcycles - http://gpmotorcycles.com/ - (shameless and unsolicited plug for a great group of guys in SoCal) - So I took the drive from Phoenix and bought this gem for myself. I have just recently sold my MV Agusta Dragster which was great, but still I did not enjoy it as much as this bike. I also have a 2017 Indian Chieftain, but I continue ride this daily and even on some longer distance trips. So easy to work on, so easy to ride, and this bike is only as limited as your creativity allows, and the stock is still beautiful. That is what I love about the V7, modified, not modified, it's still super sharp and just a bunch of fun. I look forward to many thousands of miles on this bike that will likely look very differently over the years.



You know what this bike looks like stock...this is today.

Offline paulbr

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 28
  • Location: Australia
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
A couple of days old



A year old - ikon shocks, dart screen, h&b rack, centrestand



Last weekend, just over 2 years. New rear tyre, not much change otherwise



I'd still like to improve the forks, brakes could be better and maybe lower bars

upload image free

Online Kev m

  • Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 31427
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 Stone - 4 years ago today
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 07:48:50 AM »
More great contributions.

Interesting too how many smallblocks.

Someone hit on something about the smallblocks which ties in to I believe their success, and the success of the Bonnies, and the success of the Scramblers, and I daresay the success of most Harleys but especially the Sportsters. They are all blank canvases (most inexpensive enough to let you play and enjoy without breaking the bank).

Motorcycles (especially in this $8-10k category) are adult Tonka Toys - they're like Jeeps (but cheaper), with tons of options to play and do with it what you want.

 :thumb:

Keep em coming!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here