Author Topic: I wonder why it leaked?  (Read 1644 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15176
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
I wonder why it leaked?
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »
I was making really good progress on my '76 Convert "resurrection" until yesterday. A few things slowed me to a crawl.

1. cracked atf tank:


2. hole in the atf line that goes from the tank to the underside of the transmission. It wasn't completely through, but was paper thin and when I pressed on the spot with a screwdriver it gave way. Both the original and a spare were this way. Comes from incorrect positioning of the hose and the metal section rubbing on the crossover.


Better pressure test the oil cooler before I install it...
Charlie

Offline fotoguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20021
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: I wonder why it leaked?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »
do you need another tank? I have one yours free if you need it..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15176
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: I wonder why it leaked?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
do you need another tank? I have one yours free if you need it..

Thanks. I had another one of those. mtiberio probably has me sorted on another hose/line.
Charlie

Offline Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: I wonder why it leaked?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »
Seems like the crossover on the convert is a close fit causing some problems. Good tip on what to look for when inspecting a convert since it seems like a pretty consistent issue (2 out of 2 in your case)
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here