Author Topic: V7 II Cradle Beam / HB Centre Stand Problem  (Read 2859 times)

Offline wrnchwrk

• New Egg
V7 II Cradle Beam / HB Centre Stand Problem
« on: April 30, 2017, 12:32:06 AM »
Hi,
I got myself HB centre stand (505 545 00 01) for V7 II Special, and after I had read the manual, I realised that it replaces original cradle cross beam of the bike. Please see picture below:

As you can see, the original beam is quite thick with wide flanges at the ends, while HB equivalent is just a thin pipe. On a side note, I am not happy with the tolerances of the stand as well as square beam looks misaligned to said cross beam.

Do you think it is a safe replacement of the original cross beam? How stressed is this part of the frame in general?

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
Re: V7 II Cradle Beam / HB Centre Stand Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »
Sorry, I can't help with the issue of the HB, but this is what I did as an alternative to the missing/lacking factory centerstand.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=82965.0

I will say, if you are in doubt about the aftermarket part, if in your shoes, I would not use it.  Do some searching for the HB centerstand on the V7II bikes.  If I recall there are reports of the bike wanting to roll forward off of this centerstand very easily.  It was not an inspiring-enough design for me to want one.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »
I wonder how different it is from the HB one used on earlier models like my 13 (which I installed 3 years ago)?

I also wonder if the size of the pipe is really the determining factor in strength of the design or if other components come into play?

Personally since I've been happy with the overall quality of the HB accessories I've had on all my Guzzis so I think I'd probably not hesitate to use it.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:43:01 PM »
I have the HB center stand on my V7II.
My OEM cross tube is thin, welded seam, tubing with washers welded on the ends to help keep it centered. Look thru the tube to confirm.
The HB tube looks to be thicker, and more than adequate.
The tube has very little stress.
The stand you posted has two features not on mine: the "L" bracket welded in the square bar and the bolt and nut partially hidden by the pivot bolt head. What are they for?

Regarding some bikes "wanting to roll forward off of this centerstand very easily":
1. They have probably fixed this by now. I think you have a Gen 2 stand
2. It is easily fixed by removing some material from the travel stop. You may want to repair the finish; I wouldn't bother because it will wear off anyway.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:43:01 PM »

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »
Rather than start a new thread....

I'm thinking I'll install the HB centre stand myself unless it's recommended to get the local shop to do it.  Advice appreciated thanks.

Is the cradle beam attached to the bike and part of the frame structure or a part of the stand? Do the header pipes need to come off to fit the HB centre stand? Are there better options? Looking at the instructions I wonder if the account of bikes rolling forward was due to not adjusting the position with the bolt/lock nut assembly.

Cheers

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.au/assets/brochures/505545_00_01.pdf
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:20:37 PM by MotoBug »

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
I have the HB center stand on my V7II.
My OEM cross tube is thin, welded seam, tubing with washers welded on the ends to help keep it centered. Look thru the tube to confirm.
The HB tube looks to be thicker, and more than adequate.
The tube has very little stress.
The stand you posted has two features not on mine: the "L" bracket welded in the square bar and the bolt and nut partially hidden by the pivot bolt head. What are they for?

Regarding some bikes "wanting to roll forward off of this centerstand very easily":
1. They have probably fixed this by now. I think you have a Gen 2 stand
2. It is easily fixed by removing some material from the travel stop. You may want to repair the finish; I wouldn't bother because it will wear off anyway.  A local shop installed my center stand and cured the easy rolloff situation by doing what redhawk suggested.  Simply trim the travel stop and all is ok.

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »
Ooops. No idea how I missed that post.

Offline wrnchwrk

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
I decided not to install and returned it (to the same store, btw).

Reasons:

1. I wasn't happy with the quality, part of the stand was noticeably misaligned. It indeed wasn't a good example of "German quality and precision". More like apprentice wielder's work. On a side note, chromed HB luggage rack showed rust already, so I guess HB is just not very high-quality brand in general.
2. I didn't feel comfortable to alter the bike frame to install it.
3. The stand is very heavy.
4. Customer service from Motorcycle Adventure Store was, well, disappointing. They asked me to install the stand and then take pictures/measurements to exchange it.

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »
Thanks wrnchwrk. That's all good info. I'd like to buy locally myself but sometimes you gotta question the mark up. Customer service can be a four letter word in Australia.   

Offline voncrump

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 01:08:53 PM »
I have a Stucchi Luigi centre stand on my V711. It replaces the standard cross tube. It is quite heavy to lift the bike on to but it is very secure and it takes a good effort to roll the bike off the stand. My mistake was that I didn't buy the grab rails from Stucchi at the time of purchase. The grab rails could be used to lift the bike as you roll it up on to the stand. I did have to grind a little bit off the spring mount to clear the gear change mechanism.
Cheers, voncrump
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:15:43 PM by voncrump »
1996 1100 sport
2016 V711
1988  Lario ( long gone )
1982 V50111 (long gone)

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Thanks crumpy. There's another brand LGC? I think. Anyway I'm in no hurry.

This is it  http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4758

Offline voncrump

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
Thanks crumpy. There's another brand LGC? I think. Anyway I'm in no hurry.

This is it  http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4758

Thats the one I purchased. LGC is the new name for Stucchi Luigi. The business was restructured.
Very well made but I had to modify it slightly. If you want to pursue the LGC option I can find the photos of the modification I made.
Cheers, voncrump
1996 1100 sport
2016 V711
1988  Lario ( long gone )
1982 V50111 (long gone)

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 10:45:02 PM »
Okay. Thanks again. I'll let you know if needed.

Cheers, MB

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here