Author Topic: Engine noise, V7II Stone  (Read 1762 times)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Engine noise, V7II Stone
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
I have a noise that sounds like valve tappet noise, but I am not convinced it is.  When I first heard the loudish tap, tap, tap coming from the right valve cover area (only the right, not the left) I figured I needed to check the clearances.  Turned out the clearances were exactly the same on both sides, with the exhaust being exactly on spec (.020) and the intakes being a tad loose (.017 vs. .015 spec).  I left them as is and closed it back up.  The tap persists, but there are couple of differences from typical Guzzi tappet noise I am used to.

At idle, the left side sounds normal to me.  The right side has a pronounced ting/ping noise.  It sounds louder and "ringier" than the tappet noise I am used to from other Guzzi engines, but this is my first small block.  The sound is more like hitting a tuning fork as opposed to hitting a piece of rebar. Ringy, and really quite noticeable when I start the bike cold.  But it gradually goes away as the bike warms.  After 5 miles, the noise is less loud.  After 10 or 15 it is gone, and the left and right sides sound identical. 

Any ideas?   
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

pete roper

Re: Engine noise, V7II Stone
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:24:32 PM »
Fins ringing? Are the buffers still there?

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »
Alan,
Check the header nuts. I had a similar noise and one of them was about to fall off and two more were loose. Seems to be a common problem on V7's.
I am ordering some Nordlock washers for mine.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:02:43 AM »
Alan,
Check the header nuts. I had a similar noise and one of them was about to fall off and two more were loose. Seems to be a common problem on V7's.
I am ordering some Nordlock washers for mine.
Also check the positioning of the exhaust. Is something close enough that vibration is making the exhaust contact it.

IIRC I loosened up all 4 header nuts and tweaked the left-to-right positioning of the whole system JUST enough to keep the crossover from just barely contacting something on the frame.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:02:43 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here