Author Topic: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.  (Read 48026 times)

Offline pariah

• New Goose
Re: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.
« Reply #450 on: July 16, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
Remarkable thread. Just read it from the start. Lovely work Les. You have any idea how much money you have into this so far? (Having just bought a 73 GT850 :) )

Offline LesP

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #451 on: July 16, 2020, 06:34:02 PM »
Remarkable thread. Just read it from the start. Lovely work Les. You have any idea how much money you have into this so far? (Having just bought a 73 GT850 :) )

Thanks, it (Your GT) looks like a good bike in the pictures (Maybe the front brake shoes are worn or 'something based on the lever angles and threaded adjusters)

I would do just as I wanted to do in the beginning, change the oils, maybe check the rocker clearances and ride it  (since it has Gilardoni's)  for a bit before thinking about digging to deep.
My bike started with the the universal near failing point so would suggest putting it on the centre stand in gear and rocking the back wheel, I would not want to see much more than 10 to 12 mm of movement out at the tyre.

The cost I am not sure of because this bike is an oddity, it looked like the 15000 mile bike it was sold as but every conceivable component that could wear out was pretty much just that.
I am not even sure if the paint is original, only someone knowledgeable could tell me that.
#
The bike cost around US$9000 landed in Australia, MGCycle got the most loyal custom/money @ US$5000 + post (Maybe $1000 over 14 orders) so there is $14000 off the bat.
Around 2000 at HMB... The ring and pinion was AU$799 locally and so on, the 1000SP gearbox from San Francisco AU$700, wiring loom US$462 so maybe $20000 + , (US$14k/$20k depending on the exchange rate over the last 8 + years)  that's why I joke about having 3 or 4 dollars invested in paint. (maybe a half roll of 'tin foil (and water) in the chrome restoration)

No offence meant to anyone, I do not build bikes to putt around the neighbourhood or dawdle down some back road, this will be a working bike which is why the cosmetics are as is but shown some respect given their age and condition, whatever that might be.
We will never know why it had worn out stock cylinders but already (ruined by chrome) on a first under size on the crankshaft, knurled internally valve guides.. etc etc.

In hindsight it would have been better (logically) as considered at the time (1 for 1 exchange rate) when the extent of wear was found, an incomplete 1100 or 8 valve bike imported to use its running gear for what would be a modern (disc) Loop Eldorado but it it would have been a Loop in name only.

The irony is I might now be one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet regarding the 1973 2LS brake Eldorado who has never ridden a Moto Guzzi.

The Mk2a 850 is up on the table the Moto Guzzi vacated, the 1949 Sunbeam up on another, War of the Worlds continues....... Spring is closer than it was yesterday and have wondered how far I could go on my BWS/Zuma 125 with my lightest camping gear.

Back to the (not yet) Spring clean.
Donor 15/16/17/18/19/20

Offline LesP

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #452 on: July 17, 2020, 01:38:06 AM »
Getting some mileage out of that bread board.
A push fit in the lower manifold cap screws for no melty wires or Mr Bean floorboard foot entanglements.

Who would have thought, that was a very long circle and ended up using the Pazon (NZ) HT leads in the end.
The HT lead I got (2 metres) from the UK was OK and stainless steel core but like a wet noodle, these leads are copper core and quite HD in construction.
I got new NGK caps but they only had the short version in brown but got a pair anyway, they actually fit better and of course the colour goes nicely with the Made in Italy 'brown distributor cap.  :wink:
I made a press to fit the coil end right angle terminal to the lead.
Not bad in the end at around 6 months to fit HT leads.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:54:58 PM by LesP »
Donor 15/16/17/18/19/20

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram & Twitter: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Guzzi Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #453 on: July 23, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
jeeze les, this is a pretty wild thread. I certainly hope you dont put a few kms on this bike and say "nah, guzzi isnt for me!"

Would be a real shame if you had to export it to the US for sale  :popcorn:
1971 Ambo *barn fresh*
1976 Robin *beer runner*
1984 V65 *the astronaut*
2007 Breva 1100 *the prospector*
2014 DR650 *starts every time*

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #453 on: July 23, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »

Offline LesP

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #454 on: August 01, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »
I forgot to mention, from nearly a week ago on my FB page.

I got a little side tracked this morning and in that side track I passed the 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado that sits in the living room... I got it way back in 2011 with it arriving in Australia early 2012 after being missing for some 3 months between New York and Australia, of course when it got here (Port of Sydney) it was road freighted 900 kms to Queensland then back 900 kms to NSW where I lived ?? but finally it arrived only to find it was totally worn out.... I worked on it every now and again over the years and stopped counting when it went over $20000 all in, I did start it once back in 2012 but the engine was weak and it never ran again since that day, not even ridden.......... So this morning I am opening the back windows and it occurred to me having made a new coil lead days ago, if I was to hook the battery ($250) up and add some fuel, maybe it would start so I did both then just stood there wondering what would happen given I had this bike down to the last nut, bolt and wire.............. I give it some choke and hit the starter button and it just winds over, Ohhh well........... Hmmm, then I look on the police dash, maybe the push/pull kill switch is not in for Go but out for Go so pull it out and try again.......... It started instantly for the first time in over eight years.
Donor 15/16/17/18/19/20

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Guzzi Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #455 on: August 01, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »
 :thumb:
Charlie
http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
'67 Sears Allstate/Puch SR250
'69 V700
'69 Ambassador
'76 Convert
'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here