Author Topic: NGC KTM 690 Duke  (Read 6201 times)

Offline clubman

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 560
  • Location: South Georgia
NGC KTM 690 Duke
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »
Arthritis and bad knees are forcing me to look to lighter bikes. I just sold my beloved Triumph Sprint (my V7C isn't going anywhere). Anybody had any experience with a KTM 690 Duke? Looks like it would be light enough and have enough power to be fun. I know they are uglier than original sin (at least to older guys) but sometimes you have to look the other way.
Gen. 3 Hayabusa,  KTM 890 Duke, Indian  FTR1200R Carbon R, Triumph Speed 400, Triumph 765RS, Griso 4V

Offline JohninVT

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 783
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »
Fuel pumps, rocker arm bearings and electrical issues are well known problem areas with the 690.  Any KTM makes a Chinese scooter seem as reliable as Honda.  I wanted a RC390 but the Indian built engines go through head gaskets and water pumps like a fat kid goes through donuts.

The Husky Vitipilen 701 would be right up my alley except that you get all of the 690 reliability issues with even less dealer support. 

I have several friends who swear by KTM because the bikes have the best components and performance but their bikes are in the shop or torn apart on a workbench in their garage as much as they're ridden.     

Offline piecemealadventurer

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 77
  • No turning back
    • piecemealadventurer
  • Location: AU
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »
Gotta say I have an Aprilia pegasso trail and I find I ride it more these days for short trips and for around town.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

Breva 1100 x2
v85tt

Offline stmike

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 576
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
I borrowed a 690 demo from a local dealership a few months ago and took it for about 70 miles through our local canyons.  Some of the best fun I�ve had on a bike. Good power and extremely light made for serious fun in the twisties. They had some vibration issues a few years ago, but seemed to have cured these in the latest iterations.
Regarding reliability, I owned a 990 Super Duke awhile back, and it never gave me an inkling of trouble. In fact, my confidence in KTMs is such, that I�m currently in negotiations with my dealership on a new Super Duke GT which I�ve ridden and loved.
By the way, I’m old and I think the 690 looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:04:10 PM by stmike »

Offline circlip

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 132
  • It takes a big dog to weigh a ton.
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »
I believe that the 690's come from Austria, not India.
2026 Triumph Speed 400

Past Guzzi's:
1972 V7 Sport (how could I be stupid enough to sell it?)
1976 T3 w/ Velorex sidecar
1980 G5
2006 Breva 1100
2015 V7 II
2018 V7 III Milano

Offline clubman

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 560
  • Location: South Georgia
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, some food for thought here.
Gen. 3 Hayabusa,  KTM 890 Duke, Indian  FTR1200R Carbon R, Triumph Speed 400, Triumph 765RS, Griso 4V

Offline Scud

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1190
  • Location: Carlsbad, CA
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »
If you like the 690 Duke, take a look at the Husqvarna 701 Supermoto. It will share a lot with the KTM, but is a rather attractive steed. The 701 Vitpilen looks cool too, but haven't seen a real one yet. I just bought a 701 Enduro and I love it. It's an amazing street bike, even with 21F / 18R wheels with chunky knobby tires. 320 pounds for the Husky - and you can drop 6 pounds with a slip-on exhaust.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Green1000S

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1332
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »
Any KTM makes a Chinese scooter seem as reliable as Honda.  I wanted a RC390 but the Indian built engines go through head gaskets and water pumps like a fat kid goes through donuts.
I have several friends who swear by KTM because the bikes have the best components and performance but their bikes are in the shop or torn apart on a workbench in their garage as much as they're ridden.     

No problems with mine and can you quantify your claim?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:56:26 PM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5580
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »
From 2001-2003 I owned a KTM LC4 640 supermoto. It was great fun. Silly fun. Power was more than adequate and I'm a big guy.
I don't know much about newer KTM bikes, but that thing vibrated in a nasty way. After 20 minutes a nut check was necessary. ( nut check as in between your legs, not the ones that vibrate loose and fall off of the bike, although you are checking to see if you are sharing that issue.)

After 4,000 commuter miles ( no dirt or racing ), my cylinder head cracked a month out of warranty. KTM told me to go pound sand. Bought a new head, fixed the bike, sold it and swore off KTM's forever.
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16848
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
The KTM 790 Duke is built around an all-new and ultra-compact LC8c parallel-twin engine, which KTM claims produces 103 hp at 9,000 rpm and 63.6 pound-feet of torque at 8,000 rpm. That 100 hp and a claimed dry weight of 372 pounds (probably 415 or so full of fuel) make KTM's claims that this new bike is “the ultimate street weapon” seem pretty spot-on.


John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bigbikerrick

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6077
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
FWIW my son has owned a KTM RC 8 for about 5 years, and its been bulletproof for over 12K miles. I do all the maintenance on the bike, and its fairly easy to work on, as well.
KTMs are badass bikes IMHO, and they produce some impressive torque.

KTM is not joking when they claim their bikes are "Ready to race"  :grin:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline JohninVT

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 783
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 07:13:22 AM »
No problems with mine and can you quantify your claim?

Multiple threads about the well known issues by hundreds of owners on ADVrider, Thumpertalk, KTMownersfoum, Supermotojunkie forum, 690south forum...I could go on if you’d like.  Same goes for the 390.  Same issues over and over, related by hundreds of owners over the years. 

Offline Darren Williams

  • Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1085
  • Life is too short to go slow!
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 12:26:17 PM »
If you want something that is a torque monster lightweight naked in the 700 class, and want to ride it more than you maintain it, look no further than the inexpensive Yamaha FZ07.

Do yourself a favor and test ride one before you buy.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Diploman

  • "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • Location: Murrysville PA
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »
I once demo'ed a 2013 KTM 690 - I loved the power and agility, but the vibration level - significantly worse than either my old Triumph 650 or Yamaha SR 500 - was just unacceptable and disqualified the bike from further consideration.  However, in 2016 KTM redesigned the 690 engine and addressed this problem by adding a second counterbalance on the exhaust camshaft in the head.  Reviews and reports claim the vibration issue has been greatly attenuated by this mod.  Along with a power increase to 70+ HP and weight in the mid 300's lbs., this bike is said to have tremendous agility and a very impressive power-to-weight ratio:  ie, a great performer.  I have never owned a (built-in-Austria) 690, and can't comment on reliability, but the bike does seem to have many fervent admirers.

My own (built-in -India) KTM 390 Duke has been flawless since I purchased it in 2015.  A really fun lightweight roadster which won Cycle World's "Best Lightweight Street Bike" award.  40 HP and low 300's lb. weight gives a quite satisfying power-to-weight ratio and a very lively ride.  Both the 390 Duke and RC 390 were plagued by unreliable Indian-made cooling fans, easily fixed by substituting an Italian SPAL fan.  Both 390 variants also have head gasket issues (for which there are aftermarket solutions), but this problem is much more common on the RC's, which spend lots of time running WOT while racing.  390 owners who have a gentler throttle hand seem to have many fewer head gasket failures.  At a little over $5K, The 390 Duke is, IMO, a lot of bike for the money.  But like Guzzi, it needs a committed owner, preferably with some mechanical aptitude.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 02:09:27 PM by Diploman »
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Online Travlr

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1162
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
I bought a new 690 Duke a few years ago.  See attached pic on a weekend tour of The Devils Highway.

It's pretty focused.  Good commuter, fun hooligan.  It that is what you are looking for go for it.
As all arounder, I'd probably look elsewhere.

All of my KTM's have been very reliable.  Quality products IMHO.

Mike



1984 LeMans 3 Cafe Racer
1977 BMW R100S

Offline clubman

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 560
  • Location: South Georgia
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 05:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies, some are not current info. Vibration issues addressed 2 yrs ago with engine redesign (now twin counterbalancers), rocker problem fixed with redesign in late 2013. Sorry no Japanese bikes for me, just my thing. I'm also looking at the 701 Husky. Haven't heard any legitimate negative issues with either. Still thinking. Also the Duke has 2yr/24K warranty.
Gen. 3 Hayabusa,  KTM 890 Duke, Indian  FTR1200R Carbon R, Triumph Speed 400, Triumph 765RS, Griso 4V

Offline Sasquatch Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 9600
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
KTM = Kost Too Much, especially if you have to have dealer maintenance.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Diploman

  • "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • Location: Murrysville PA
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 07:45:28 AM »
Steph,

The SV650 is without a doubt a fine bike, but it is by no means comparable to the 390 Duke.

MSRP for the 2018 390 Duke has not yet been announced AFAIK, but should fall in the 5.4-5.7K USD range.  ABS is standard.  MSRP for the SV650 ABS is $7.5K.

390 Duke Claimed curb weight: 328 lbs.  Claimed SV650 curb weight: 432 lbs

Clearly the 390 and the SV650 represent quite different categories.  Compared to the 390, the SV is neither lightweight nor inexpensive.  It would take perhaps a three-year old used SV to be comparable in price to a new 390.  The SV actually is more comparable in weight, category and price to the V7.

I just read in Motorrad that KTM has signed an agreement to have the 790 Duke built in China by CFMoto.  That should bring the price down by several thousand $.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:52:45 AM by Diploman »
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline wyrtyr2

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 130
  • Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
I just bought a leftover 2017 690 in white--$7200.  My logic is the same.  65 yo, wanting something for around town etc.  I have a GS and an RS, so the single complements nicely.  With the 790 coming out later this year, I think there are deals on the 690.  And, surely, the 790 will be hard to get, and will easily be over $10K.  I will pick up in a couple of weeks(when our 2 ft of snow melts)and will report on my riding impressions.  I have had previous KTM's with never an issue, and very good dealer support.  A great european motorcycle company in my opinion.

Offline mtiberio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 4218
    • TiberioRacing
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 08:14:08 AM »
Had a 600 Duke back in the 2002 time frame. Used it on the street, and it was also my race bike for the last 2 years I roadraced (2003, 2004). Never like the handling frankly, and I found the counterbalancer was insufficient in reducing vibes. I hope the newer (and even bigger) ones have solved that issue for you, because those kinds of vibes through the footpegs are not kind to arthritic ankles and knees...

My lightweight bike now is a Honda CRF250L. Goes 80mph with minimal vibes and ~310 pounds. Perfect urban assault vehicle and it does off road...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Diploman

  • "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • Location: Murrysville PA
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
I got the SV price from Suzuki's website.  It's true, I'm not in the habit of looking for discounts on last year's SV's. This model, however, does not have ABS like the 390.  There are some pretty steep discounts available on 2917 390's as well. 

Cheers, Will
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16848
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »
For the price of a 390 Duke, you could probably shop around and find a new, light, fun V twin that will be kind to your arthritis and has a svelt line with a classic round headlight:

I give you the SV650:




At the end of the day, ride them all and choose the one one that turns your crank

just a great motorcycle.  I've recommended them and riden them.  I don't know anyone that was disappointed.

And I would bet the Yamaha and the Versus are every bit as nice.

BTW- I've ridden the 690 Duke.   I'll take the Suzuki anyday.  I would guess the Duke probably is a little lighter but loses in every other way.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:59:53 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tusayan

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1905
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
A friend of mine looked at the new BMW G310R single recently, and told me he thought it was a great ride at a reasonable price.  I reminded him that my 2002 SV650 cost less than 1/3 as much and does the same job about 3 times as well...   They say you 'can't' compare used bikes with new bikes, but I keep doing it anyway  :wink:  A new SV also compares well with the Euro singles, beating them handily in my book.

I rode the SV on a 100 miles loop on Saturday afternoon, its a fantastic motorcycle.  I certainly wouldn't trade it for either the 310 BMW or the little KTM.

Offline rss29

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 195
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 07:16:30 PM »
I tried to buy a 390 Duke but the local dealers were completely unwilling to deal. Seems like they are selling all they can get. Out the door price was 7 grand, which was a lot more than I was willing to pay for a small Indian single with questionable reliability. The BMW 310 is similar and more reasonably priced at around 5500 OTD. It’s down on power to the KTM but is a nice looking bike. I ended up getting neither and went with a new KLX250 for my small bike.

Offline clubman

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 560
  • Location: South Georgia
Re: NGC KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
Well we'll soon see. KTM is offering good discounts on leftover '17's. Area dealer has one in black/white, a little less offensive to my eye. I have a deposit on it, and going to look at it tomorrow, will bring it home if everything is amenable. 
Gen. 3 Hayabusa,  KTM 890 Duke, Indian  FTR1200R Carbon R, Triumph Speed 400, Triumph 765RS, Griso 4V

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here