Author Topic: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Mike Crenshaw

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 297
California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
I needed to install a fuel filter on my '03 California EV (hydro model) and disconnected the head temperature sensor in order to fit it into place.  When I did the original black phenolic piece just crumbled.  I have a replacement part.  The difficulty I'm having is removing the brass section that is in the head.  The hex flats are below the recess making it impossible to get a socket on the lower piece. A thin walled socket was suggested, however there is not even enough room for a thin walled socket to wash over the nipple.  I've tried extractors, both internal and external, but can't get a bite on the brass.

Logic tells me that the proper thing to do is to remove the head so that I can get access to the nipple and either drill it out, or tap it to install a bolt with nut to back it out.  The thing is I'm quite confident I can remove the head, but doing a proper removal and re-install without a set of instructions has me at a halt.  Where can I find proper head removal and reinstall instructions? 

If there is another option I'm certainly open to suggestions.

See the two photos and hopefully you can visualize what I'm dealing with.  - Mike Crenshaw



03 Moto Guzzi California EV
18 BMW R1200RT
75 BMW R90/6 Elwood
80 BMW R80/7
74 Yamaha TY250A
06 Suzuki DR650
68 Triumph TR25W

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »
I got a flat bladed screwdriver bit jammed in the brass part and turned it out with a pair of pliers.  Mine might not have been as stuck as yours. 

Do you have another crummy plastic part to replace the crummy plastic part, or did you go to MG cycle and get the completely metal one?

Offline Mike Crenshaw

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 297
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
Rodekyll, in keeping with the tractor theme of Guzzis I obtained another crummy black plastic one, but only because MG told me they haven't had the brass ones in ten years.  So I bought the CBPO piece.  Only later did I speak with Curtis Harper who told me that he has the metal piece.  Neither one will do me any good if I can't remove the original.  Flat blade screwdriver, huh?
03 Moto Guzzi California EV
18 BMW R1200RT
75 BMW R90/6 Elwood
80 BMW R80/7
74 Yamaha TY250A
06 Suzuki DR650
68 Triumph TR25W

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29701
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »
A big easy out (maybe ground shorter to make the size right) will back that booger right out of there. Give it a good smack with a copper hammer, put a tap wrench on it, and Bob's your uncle.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline fotoguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20021
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »
can you get a vice grips on the round part above the hex area? put penetrating oil in there in advance, let soak.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Mike Crenshaw

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 297
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »
I was finally able to extract the head temp insert, but it took some serious disassembly, an 18" x 3/8" extension and a couple of whacks with a ball peen hammer to seat the reverse extractor.  But I did it and that makes me the winner.  So basic problem solved, but I would still like to find a service manual that explains the head removal / installation process.  Thanks to all for the comments.
03 Moto Guzzi California EV
18 BMW R1200RT
75 BMW R90/6 Elwood
80 BMW R80/7
74 Yamaha TY250A
06 Suzuki DR650
68 Triumph TR25W

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14140
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
but I would still like to find a service manual that explains the head removal / installation process.  Thanks to all for the comments.

Any big twin manual will explain it. But my understanding is that the later models have changed the head gasket, so the torque is different. Plus you have the hydraulic lifters, which need the custom initial setup. Nothing much else out of the ordinary.
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline drburt

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Location: Amarillo, Texas

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29701
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:11:14 AM »
I was finally able to extract the head temp insert, but it took some serious disassembly, an 18" x 3/8" extension and a couple of whacks with a ball peen hammer to seat the reverse extractor.  But I did it and that makes me the winner.  So basic problem solved, but I would still like to find a service manual that explains the head removal / installation process.  Thanks to all for the comments.

And people say that eze outs don't work.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Online Dharma Bum

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 921
Re: California EV Head Temp Sensor Replacement
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »
I've been successful with Easy outs about 70 percent of the time I have used them, but still am trying to figure our where the "easy" description comes from. Most always a PITA!

 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here