Author Topic: 2013 V7 Stone first service complete!  (Read 999 times)

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
2013 V7 Stone first service complete!
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:50:21 AM »
Just finished the complete first service (600 mile) on my recently purchased 2013 Stone with only 1008 miles on the clock. This bike had an expired license and was sitting under a sheet in the PO�s garage.

If I�ve missed anything, please let me know?

Completed:

Heads torqued
Valve adjust (all were slightly too tight)
Engine oil and filter changed (still a little troubled by claimed volume vs actual volume?)
Gearbox oil changed
Final drive oil changed
Brake fluid flushed (rear fluid was very dark!)
Exhaust header bolts torqued (2 were slightly loose)
Exhaust clamp bolts checked and torqued to spec.
Clutch adjusted
Cables lubed
All accessible bolts checked and adjusted for proper torque then marked with tatletail paint marks
Air filter checked
Steering head checked for looseness
Brake discs cleaned and checked
Spark plugs and caps replaced with new NGK
Adjusted plug wires away from rubbing on tank and put discrete white duct tape over under tank rub spots to protect (right side plug wire had rubbed through paint finish!)
Clutch cable tied back from right cylinder with cable tie
Backoff Light added to rear
Dart Marlin Screen (dark smoke) added
Alaskan Leather Sheepskin cover (black) added over seat (from my previous KLR, fit is perfect!)
Tires checked for checking and adjusted to 36 PSI
Stupid decals and stickers removed where visible! (This was a pain, very brittle and required hours!)

New crush washers, o-rings, and gaskets were used on all serviced components since the bike is already 5 years old!

New battery installed at time of purchase!
Fuel drained and refilled with Premium Alcohol Free gas. (Previous owner stored with Seafoam treated premium)

The only remaining check I plan on is the regulator voltage, which I�ll I�ll do sometime over the next couple of months and upgrade if any problem is noted.

Now I plan to Riding, riding, riding and riding through the late Spring, Summer and Early Fall!

Thanks to all for this site and the great information provided

Again, please let me know if I�ve missed anything?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:38:10 AM by Spokane2303 »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2013 V7 Stone first service complete!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
Sounds like you really did a nice thorough going through.  :thumb: So many think an old bike has been in suspended animation.  :smiley:
Engine oil and filter changed (still a little troubled by claimed volume vs actual volume?)

You'll have to refresh my memory on this one.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:10:37 AM »
To add to what Chuck said, did you drain the sump completely? You need to remove both the front and rear drain plugs in order to completely drain the sump.

While I'm thinking of it, I'm assuming the order of services listed are not necessarily the order they were performed in, right? That is to say, valve adjust AFTER head torque. Otherwise things will be off.

John Henry   

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »
Moto Guzzi claims the engine holds 2 liters of oil when properly filled.  I drained the engine, starting with it being warm, through both drains; and, with the oil filter removed, overnight.  The next day I measured in precisely 2 liters of Motul and then checked the level after warming the bike up.  Oil dip stick cap in unscrewed position, care taken not to dip the dip stick inadvertently into the oil when checking, etc.  Repeated 3 times (a little OCD on my part!). Way too full as measured on the dip stick!  I then extracted 50 cc�s at a time and continued checking level on cleaned dip stick. At 1700 cc�s oil remaining in engine, the warm oil level was at the top of the �max� line on the dipstick.

Rode the bike 10 +/- miles, then rechecked the level with bike level, and cap unscrewed.

Still at precisely the top of the �max� oil line. 

Added 50cc�s more oil (just to feel more secure) and sealed her up after taking a dip stick level picture on my cell phone for reference.

Specification calls for 2 liters.  Reality, if the dip stick is to be believed?, is somewhere between 1700-1750 cc�s.

Having just transitioned from a KLR 650, another bike with minimal oil capacity and a sketchy history of sucking said oil out of its engine when ran too hard and fast, I�m vary cautious on checking my oil level prior to my rides!  On the KLR there is a fill level sight glass, which is known to be wrong, and a proper fill level is to the top of the sight glass, not the fill level marked. Even the ultra precise Japanese couldn�t get that one right after making the same basic model for 3 decades.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:44:05 AM by Spokane2303 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
There are a couple of sump spacers available to add capacity to your bike if that is an item of concern to you. I believe there are a number of folks here that have done just that.

John Henry

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »
I’ve corrected my post’s service order..

The head re-torque was the first service completed!

Thanks for pointing out a possible error.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 09:50:17 AM »
 :thumb: :bow:

Sounds like it's about time to go for a ride now. :grin:

John Henry

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »

Added 50cc�s more oil (just to feel more secure) and sealed her up after taking a dip stick level picture on my cell phone for reference.

You might find that to be overfilled and the bike will puke the excess oil into the airbox. On my 13 full was more like halfway between the dipstick marks.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »
Nice, sounds like you have a BRAND NEW version of my 5 year old bike (which I still love and snuck out on yesterday).

What you are saying about oil level sounds familiar, but I can't say for sure from memory because I switched out to a sump spacer in the first month or two. The extra capacity gives me warm and fuzzies!

Anyway, ENJOY!

Kev
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:05:54 AM »

Specification calls for 2 liters.  Reality, if the dip stick is to be believed?, is somewhere between 1700-1750 cc�s.

Congrats and enjoy. Experience shows running the oil level just a tad below full mark will yield better results. (i.e. no oil blown out into air box) Another common mistake is overfilling the rear drive lube. Other than that you got a peach!
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
You might find that to be overfilled and the bike will puke the excess oil into the airbox. On my 13 full was more like halfway between the dipstick marks.

That's my exerience too.  1/2 way is full.

(There must be a joke in there)
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Spokane2303

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 10:40:47 PM »
LOL,

After taking a 2 hour ride on Sunday, I pulled the air filter and checked the air box for excess oil.

Yep, the box was wetter then it should be, so even 1750 cc’s of oil (which was 1/8” over the top level mark) was too much oil in the engine!

So I used my trusty syringe to pull out another 50 cc’s of oil and it now measures (warm-level-and with the dip stick not screwed in) about 1/8” below the top mark.

Total oil in engine: 1,700 cc’s

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here