Author Topic: Guzziology  (Read 2737 times)

Offline rjamesohio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2244
  • Location: Waynesville OH
Guzziology
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:42:58 PM »
I received my copy as part of the package when I bought my very first Guzzi many years ago.

My well loved copy is version 2.3 and I’ve received many answers over the years from this fine work.

I understand that Dave Richardson retired recently from Moto International but wonder if he had plans to update it further. I turned to Amazon (isn’t EVERYTHING sold there now- lol) and saw it was “no longer available”.

Anyone know what the latest version was and where to find it?





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh
9372715697

Offline webmost

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 410
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
  • Location: Newark, Delaware
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »
Mine is v 8.3. Never got any good out of it. I'll swap you for a handful of decent cigars.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5578
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »
Love my copy. V 5.2
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline rjamesohio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2244
  • Location: Waynesville OH
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
Mine is v 8.3. Never got any good out of it. I'll swap you for a handful of decent cigars.
Variety pack?

And do I need to ship them in a humidor?lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh
9372715697

Moto

  • Guest
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
You can get the latest version, I expect, at Moto International, here:

http://www.motointernational.com/store/books/guzziology-our-own-self-help-guide-to-moto-guzzi-motorcycles

Hard to imagine anyone who could get nothing from this masterpiece, but go figure.

I read my copy cover-to-cover when I first got it.

Moto

Offline guzzinka

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 204
  • Location: Oak Park Illinois
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
I got my copy (the newest version) from EBay, sold by and shipped direct from moto international.  Great stuff

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »



Never knew there were different versions. <shrug>
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online fotoguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20021
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »
it's the BIBLE!
BMW riders would pay huge money for such work that covered their bikes.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline webmost

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 410
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
  • Location: Newark, Delaware
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 05:57:20 AM »
Variety pack?

And do I need to ship them in a humidor?lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use your judgement. what to send. That's part of the fun.
I still need your addy. I can get this in the mail Monday. I PMd you my digits etc.

Sent from my iSwill using Tappakegga Amateur

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Guzzi Gal

  • MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1686
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
  • Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
I purchased my Anni from Dave about a month before he retired.  I didn't order the latest edition because it dosen't include the V7 III. :sad:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline SED

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1629
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 11:43:07 PM »
GG - get it anyway, it is so full of common sense mechanics and clues on part numbers and substitutions and practical modifications that it will still be useful.  And the V7III is so similar to preceding 750 small-blocks that Guzziology will show you general layout and potential concerns so if you have a problem you will be much better armed if you go anywhere to get parts or service.  I'm probably lucky because I can read mechanical stuff and see it in pictures (and if I don't I can re-read until it makes sense).  So like Moto I read huge sections of it. I refer to it often, even if I do something different.... :grin:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Yukonica

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1096
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
  • Location: Yukon Territory, Canada
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 12:10:35 AM »
I purchased my Anni from Dave about a month before he retired.  I didn't order the latest edition because it dosen't include the V7 III. :sad:

GG, I think you and I are in the same neophyte, no major mechanical knowledge, willing to learn group.
I bought an early version Guzziology from a forum member for the price of a donation to this forum (great deal in my mind).
It has the original V7 in it but nothing from our era yet is still a useful read. I admit I don't 'refer' to it when undertaking maintenance or trying to resolve a mechanical question but my shop area would feel incomplete without out it...
As a reader, I did give a go at reading it cover to cover. Trust me; it is not a novel. Best absorbed in bytes.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Sheepdog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5575
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
  • Location: Waldheim, Louisiana. USA
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
I've been through my copy of Guzziology a number of times. It has provided many insights and helped me to understand my bike in a way that would have taken years if I'd had to learn on my own. However, meeting Dave and seeing the MI operation firsthand was also a treat. I live in the hope that such an operation might evolve closer than 3000 miles away from my home. I also have a bunch of years of the "tips" collections from the MGNOC. Knowledge is power...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline rjamesohio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2244
  • Location: Waynesville OH
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
I've been through my copy of Guzziology a number of times. It has provided many insights and helped me to understand my bike in a way that would have taken years if I'd had to learn on my own. However, meeting Dave and seeing the MI operation firsthand was also a treat. I live in the hope that such an operation might evolve closer than 3000 miles away from my home. I also have a bunch of years of the "tips" collections from the MGNOC. Knowledge is power...

Funny you mention the “tips”. Along with Guzziology I received FOUR bundles of the paper copy MGNOC newsletter and 3 if the tips compilations. Hours of entertainment and almost as homey as the “How to repair your Beetle” volumes. I still find hard copy technical info and Manuals very useful yet it seems interest in them has waned. Guess I’m definitely one of the “old guard” now but seriously the young Guzzi riders should grab a copy of Guzziology. I’d love to meet Dave and congratulate him on such a fine volume of work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh
9372715697

Offline Guzzi Gal

  • MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1686
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
  • Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Re: Guzziology
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 03:45:15 PM »
SED and Yokonica,

Thanks for the insights.  I'm mechanically inclined and have no real hands-on experience but I enjoy learning how things do what they do. :thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here