Author Topic: Tonti Workshop Tools  (Read 4072 times)

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
Tonti Workshop Tools
« on: August 05, 2018, 04:44:25 AM »
Hi All.

Have been a lurker for a while and figured its time to get in on the action and get some advise from those in the know.

I am looking for some advice on the specialty tools for overhauling a Tonti Big Block motor/gearbox and diff. I have the (mis?)fortune of having a number of Guzzis that need attention and am looking at purchasing a good set of tools to complete all the bikes over the next few years as time permits.

I have recently completed a nut and bolt restoration of an original Blue 850 LeMans my father bought new from the factory in 1977, however due to the sentimental value and relative newness to guzzi motors I farmed out the Motor/Gearbox rebuild to someone more experienced

There a quite a few tools I know are basically mandatory, eg the two special deep sockets for the gearbox crank nut, clutch compressor & rear main seal tool, but am wondering how critical some of the other tools are (nice to haves or critical to success).

I am aware of the kit that is offered by Rolf Johansen in Norway, but unfortunately most of his kit is now unavailable, so am also keen to hear peoples experience of quality from other suppliers (stein-Dinse, MG cycle, etc)

The list I have compiled so-far is

Critical tools to have (I think)
18927651 - Crankshaft Ring Nut tool
14912603 - Clutch hub ring nut tool for 5 speeds
12911801 - Flywheel ring gear holding tool
??? Alternator Rotor removal bolt

Tools I’m not sure if are critical/just make life a whole lot easier/will never be used
14927100 - Rear main seal installation tool – critical or just makes life a whole lot easier?
30906511 - Cutch plate alignment tool
12907100 - Transmission output shaft holding tool
14905400 - transmission layshaft tool
14927300 - Camshaft Holding Tool
30912810 - clutch hub holding tool
#??         - rear main bearing puller

would prefer not to buy tools I will never use, but keen to hear from others that have completed rebuilds

Cheers

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tonti Workshop Tools
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 05:25:51 AM »
I made a gearbox holding tool by cutting a slip spline from the driveshaft in half and welding it to some square stock. Gave the other half of the spline to a Guzzi buddy so he could weld him up the same. So we got two tools out of one part that isn’t too hard to locate a spare.

Many engine special tools may work in Motors other than Tonti frames units, so don’t rule those out.

When you work on Guzzis sometimes you may have to roll your own tools or adapt more commonly available versions.

At least you now know how to make your own gearbox/diff holding tool.

Good luck and this will be an interesting thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Loop Tonti EV

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 08:53:54 AM »
Clutch aligning tool: I always have an extra clutch hub around [both 2mm & 4mm] I made a spacer to put in the center so I can use a bolt and the hub for aligning the clutch.

Transmission output shaft holding tool: I made one from the spline of an old u-joint.

Clutch hub holding tool: I made one from the center of an old clutch plate.

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:00:36 AM »
How about the rear main seal tool?

I assume this helps to pull the rear main seal in nice and straight rather than tapping it in bit by bit around the edge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:00:36 AM »

Loop Tonti EV

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:11:27 AM »

I assume this helps to pull the rear main seal in nice and straight rather than tapping it in bit by bit around the edge

I remove the main bearing flange, press the new seal in with a press. Install with a new gasket and thread seal the bottom two bolts.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
I use a Volkswagen beetle flywheel hold down tool on my guzzi. goes between 2 studs and holds the ring gear. funny thing is I used to have the guzzi factory tool (which was better cause it could hold the ring gear or the inside spline of the flywheel) and gave it away or loaned it away.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:33:52 PM »
All the best with your projects mate :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:34 AM »
The camshaft holding tool from SD is pretty much junk .....Only one of the holding pins will engage onto the sprocket and the holding piece simply makes contact with the crankcase where the bolt bump is on the casting.Because the tool is insuficiantly engineered ( at least on mine) the steel plate buckeled straight away by about 1/8th and simply won't do the job.Apparently this is a known issue. The tool that engages with the starter motor ring at the rear of the crank is fine but to use that the engine obviously needs to be stripped out

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »
I remove the main bearing flange, press the new seal in with a press. Install with a new gasket and thread seal the bottom two bolts.

I like this seal removal tool.  It's cheap, fits in tight spaces, easy to use, and causes no damage.  https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-58430-Shaft-Type-Puller/dp/B000FPYW4K
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
Does anybody have the dimensions, length etc of the bolt and the spacer for the clutch plate alignment tool when using an old clutch boss? Also, is the bolt a standard metric thread or something special/fine?

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 01:15:52 AM »
The tap in the crank is M12x1.5  I'm not sure on the thickness of spacer and bolt length.
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 04:25:42 AM »

Hi there 1 down.
Where are you located and welcome. I'm about 100 k North West of Melbourne in Creswick (Ballarat).

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 11:23:20 AM »
Not nearly as glamorous as the cool tools mentioned, but I posted a recent thread about the need for a DISTRIBUTOR TOOL to reach the non-reachable dizzy clamp bolts.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »
This is the tool I made to alight the Eldorado clutch plates

Its just a matter of lining the plates up so the gearbox splines can go in.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:41:18 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 10:21:38 PM »
Hi there 1 down.
Where are you located and welcome. I'm about 100 k North West of Melbourne in Creswick (Ballarat).

Hi Huzo, I'm in Wollongong, just south of Sydney, probably be down your way (ish) for the historic races in a few months.

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
Hi Huzo, I'm in Wollongong, just south of Sydney, probably be down your way (ish) for the historic races in a few months.

You’re just down the hill from me. If you want me to whizz off some difficult nuts or pull the rear main flange just stick the bits in the car and bring them up. I’ll probably buy you a beer after it’s done.

Pete

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 04:11:55 AM »
You�re just down the hill from me. If you want me to whizz off some difficult nuts or pull the rear main flange just stick the bits in the car and bring them up. I�ll probably buy you a beer after it�s done.

Pete

Cheers for the offer Pete, may take you up on that if I run into issues.

Has anyone had any luck threading in some 10mm bolts into the rear main bearing and alternating a quarter between each bolt at a time to pull/push the bearing off?

i.e. Similar to pulling the alternator rotor off the crank but with 2 bolts it is this a recipe for a snapped housing.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here