Author Topic: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?  (Read 10231 times)

Offline blackbuell

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1251
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
  • Location: Independence, KY
Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« on: December 25, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
Ten or so years ago I fell in love with 5th generation Honda VFR's. I bought a salvaged one for $2,000, fixed up pretty nice, and then turned around and bought a pristine used one for $4,000. Ended up with 2 red 1998 VFR's. My wife and most MC buddies thought I was nuts. Why would you want to have 2 identical bikes?! I thought it was completely logical: I didn't spend a lot on the bikes, so I felt fine tearing them down to learn how to maintain and fix them when things went wrong, even though my mechanical skills are minimal. I always had one running just fine. Back then I frequently had riding friends visit; felt free lending them one of the VFR's.


Fast forward to today: I'm on my second 2V Norge; put about 55K miles on the first before I lost it to a deer strike 2 summers ago. Bought the second a year ago for $4,200 with only 2,300 miles on the ODO; it now has 15K miles on it. This is my favorite bike of all time, and I can see riding it, or another one just like it until I'm 80 years old (will be 70 in a few weeks). There is a 2007 one for sale by the local dealer for $4,500; it has only 5,500 miles on it and has new tires and has just been serviced; sounds like a good deal to me.


How crazy would it be for me to buy this bike? Hell, I already have a Norge, just like it, that is running fine. Also have a few other bikes. Do any of you possess 2 of the same bike, or, at least have the desire to?

If Guzzi were still making a comfortable, capable sport-tourer, I'd probable buy a new one and hang on to the old Norge, too.


Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
I had the Mighty Scura in SoCal, and liked it so much I bought a Rosso corsa for Indiana. Very similar bikes. Once I bought the Scura home, though,  Rosie  became superfluous.
So, no.
I did get a free  (Guzzi content ) Skorpion parts bike, though, so I guess you could say I have 1 1/2. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline nose2wind

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 12
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
I have 2 Guzzi  2000 V11s and 09 Stelvio.  They are completely different rides and I like it that way.  I also have a Buell and a KLR 650.  All are different and serve my riding passions in a different way. 

Use your money to get something different.   

Offline Waterbottle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 641
  • Location: Gladstone Queensland
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 05:31:53 PM »
2 Griso 8v's, One mostly standard with matris cartridges and a wilbers shock , the other has Matris cartridges and a modified Ohlins shock pictured left  :bike-037:
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline Darren Williams

  • Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1085
  • Life is too short to go slow!
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
I had two first gen KLRs. Needed the second so I could keep at least one in running order. I never understood why those things gained the reputation they have. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the DR. I had an old DR350 and it was really a dependable and simple bike.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »
I had two first gen KLRs. Needed the second so I could keep at least one in running order. I never understood why those things gained the reputation they have. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the DR. I had an old DR350 and it was really a dependable and simple bike.

After helping Austin with his KLR from hell, I agree. What a complicated machine for such a simple job.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline Sheepdog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5575
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
  • Location: Waldheim, Louisiana. USA
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
My next door neighbor, Jim and I have identical '07 California Vintage models.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline pehayes

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4806
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »
We have two 98EV.  Mine is red/cream and Regina's is an HD&M.  Mine has gold anodized front brake calipers and hers has silver.  We've done some height management modifications to hers.    I do all of the maintenance.  For unknown reasons, her bike's engine is way superior to mine.  Smoother, stronger, better fuel consumption, etc.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline nc43bsa

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1500
  • Location: Mooresville NC
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »
I have 2 1973 750 Commandos and 2 1974 850 Commandos.

Does that count?
1990 MilleGT

Offline Shorty

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3597
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
I have 2 790 Bonnevilles. an 01 and an 05. I think the only difference beside the color is the newer  one has  "D" shaped mixture screws, so you need a special tool bit to adjust it.

Offline Robert

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 202
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »
Do Honda Trail 90's count?

I have at least 5. 

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »
I owned two Ambassadors ('69 and '71) at one time, but they were hardly identical even in stock form. My present '69 V700 and the '69 Ambassador are closer. 
Charlie

Online lucian

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3333
  • Location: Maine, Ayuh
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
Calling MedicAndy :grin:

Offline oilhed

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 264
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
  • Location: Central CT
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
My next door neighbor, Jim and I have identical '07 California Vintage models.

 :gotpics:
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline earemike

  • Lurker
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 297
    • A place for me to park on the web
  • Location: Down Under
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
 :grin: why not?

Of course there were 3 colours of 850 LeMans & while 2 series are discussed the rolling upgrades mean I will never own two identical bikes...
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Turin

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5581
    • FB
  • Location: Chandler, Arizona
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »
I owned 2 Quotas for about a couple of months if that counts.
2007 Griso 1100
1998 Centauro GT
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1984 LeMans III
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Sheepdog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5575
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
  • Location: Waldheim, Louisiana. USA
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
:gotpics:

At the Armadillo Festival in Leesville...

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14344
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »
Only twice.
GT 750 A Suzukis and Ossa 250 Explorers.
Shoulda' kept all four..

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 12:06:55 AM »
 In the late 70's there were 3 441 BSA shooting Stars in the garage , don't ask why , raw stupidity I suppose  :rolleyes:

 Dusty

Offline Mr Revhead

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 449
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 02:27:01 AM »
I have two CX500s. Bought one to do up, then bought a going one to ride. Turns out they are 7 numbers apart in frame number!

Offline Rick4003

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 508
  • Location: Denmark
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 02:43:55 AM »
just got a second frame for a 850 T5, so I guess now I have two of the same unloved guzzi, I just need to assemble it to a complete bike. It will not go back together as a standard T5. So they will not be fully identical.

One reason I like having identical or closely related bikes/cars are they will be able to share most parts and most special tools, if you have a wide range of different manufactures and models, you would likely have to get an equal amount of special tools for each bike. So if you do your own wrenching it can be a good reason to pick something similar or identical. And as was mentioned before, when you learn the tricks for one model it applies to the other as well.

-Ulrik 
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline Doug McLaren

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 232
  • Location: North East England
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 05:12:53 AM »
The one on the right is a '77 850 MK1 Le-Mans, the left one is a 1981 850 MK2 Le-Mans. I stuck the narrower fork yokes and instruments off a MK1on to it, it was essentially the same bike. Both sold now.

DSC00004_WEB by Doug McLaren, on Flickr
2019 V85TT
1994 Ducati 900 Monster
1957 Lodola 175

Offline rdbandkab

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1521
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 07:19:08 AM »
I had two aprilia Futuras at once.  One orange/red and one silver/blue.  I've also owned two 06 black Breva 1100's...although not at the same time. We put around 53-54,000 miles on the first one.
I would buy the same design Futura again if aprilia started pumping them out.  *There's not a more comfortable seat for two-up anywhere.  And I'm prepared to fight about it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:24:14 AM by rdbandkab »

Offline jas67

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5438
  • Location: Palmyra, PA
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »
For about two years, I owned both a 2014 V7 Special, and a 2013 V7 Racer.   They're identical from a chassis and driveline standpoint, but, of course, the Racer has clip-ons, rear sets, and the Record fairing, so, completely different ergos, though similar ride otherwise.    I wouldn't have bothered with two of the same series Special or two of the same series Racer.

I replaced the '14 Special with a '17 V7 III Special, so, now they're more different.

But, to the OP's point, should he buy the low-miles Norge for $4,500.    YES.   Absolutely!    It's his favorite bike of all times, and they're not making them any more, so, a spare would be a good idea.

That said, before buying it, go out and ride the current BMW R1200RS.    With helibar risers, I'll bet it is a very similar ride to the Norge.   That's the closest thing on the market to the Norge.   The RT, IMHO, is the next closest, but, feels a lot bigger due to the huge fairing.   Mind you, it is much lighter on it's feet than its looks would make you think.    If either of those bikes seems like a worthy replacement, then don't bother with this 2nd Norge.   Just keep enjoying the one you have, knowing there are other bikes on the market that would be worthy replacements for it.

With proper maintenance it should easily making it to 150k miles w/o any major work.    At 13k per year, that will take 9 more years to reach, so, shouldn't have any trouble seeing you through until you're almost 80.

Oh, and an early happy birthday to you!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline larrys

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1494
  • Location: SE CT
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 07:44:23 AM »
For a number of years I had a bunch of '60's and '70's Bonnevilles at the same time. None were identical, though. Probably half of them ran at any given time. Won't count the parts bikes.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Aaron D.

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5882
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 07:53:51 AM »
His and Hers Indian Scouts

Offline oldlegs

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Location: yorkshire england
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
I've got 3 Beta 350 cc M4 Motards 2 of them the engine and frame No's follow each other and 1 Beta Alp 350cc very similar to the other 3.

Offline F-22

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
  • Location: Slovenia
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »


My V50III's. They were nearly identical. One had a black swingarm, one had a white one. One had balck fuel tank bottom and a black top cap, the other was completely red. One had a chromed headlight rim and one did not. The forks were completely polished on one (and it had the fork brace). They were both quite fun to ride. Lots of power from a small block (I think the engine was practically the same as the Monza, a bit more power than the previous V50 and V50II). I think these were the most powerful small blocks with the shortest swingarm. I sold both at some point.

Offline MedicAndy

  • Stable Companions:
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 332
  • It's not always easy being me!
  • Location: Raleigh, NC
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »
Calling MedicAndy :grin:

I don't know what you are talking about my friend!  :grin:

But yes, I like having more than just one of anything I like around, that is toys I'm planning on keeping until the end of my time. I have been asked many times on why I own seven 1100 Sports, and I guess I only ended up with so many of them since I love the hunt to find another. My original goal was to own one of each originally available factory color (silver, red, blue, yellow, and black), which I now have. I found two more bikes which were unique in their own way along the way. One of those bikes was a original yellow 97, which was painted in BMW red since her original owner wanted a red 1100 Sport when they came out here for sale in the US, but all red bikes were already sold, so he bought a yellow bike and had her painted in red. This bike needed a lot of work when I bought her, but she is now my main 1100 Sport bike that I'm riding. The other "extra" 97 Sport was sitting neglected for seven years under a tarp out in the weather, and that bike took a while to get her running again. This bike is running again, and I'm planning on turning this original yellow bike, which needs a complete cosmetic restoration, into a tribute bike of the original Moto Guzzi R&D 1995 red & silver R&D prototype 1100 Sport.

My other five bikes are all a little different. The different colors are obvious, but two (silver and blue) are carb 1996 models, whereas the other three are EFI models. One of the 97 with 1388 original miles is completely stock (except the cross-over), while others have different exhaust systems ranging from one with the original MG exhaust and others with Mistral carbon / Stainless Steel, or Staintune Stainless Steel exhaust systems. One has K&N pod air filters, the others have their original ram-air boxes installed. Most have the Creedon ECU chip, one still has the original chip.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes, those seven 1100's seem to be all alike, but they are actually all different, if you are looking at the micro level.

But I'm also looking at my bikes more as being a collection, which I love to look at, versus something I need to actually use or ride. I only ride three of my 1100's a couple of times per year. The others are there mostly for looks, but all are fully serviced and will fire up without any problems.         

I also have a couple of other bikes sitting in the barn. One of them is my 96 GSXR1100W, which I love to ride. I have been looking now for a year to find me a second GSXR1100W, just because, but finding one of them is almost as hard as finding another 1100 Sport.

There is a 2015 BMW K1300S currently for sale on eBay, and I would love to add that bike also to my collection. I owned a 2011 K1300S but sold her some years ago, and I miss riding such a well engineered and powerful bike. I was thinking yesterday about maybe selling my 96 Silver & Blue 1100's to fund (in part) the purchase of the BMW, but I know that I would never be able to replace those bikes after they were gone........

So in conclusion,

It's not always easy having Champagne taste while living on a beer budget!  :)










This is the R&D 1100 Sport tribute bike I'm planning on building next year


96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport
96 MG 1100 Sport
97 MG 1100 Sport

Offline wrbix

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 1702
Re: Anybody own 2 of the same identical MC model?
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
Two Last Edition BMW R100s - a CS and an RS, identical but for fairing and rear brakes. Always on the lookout for an RT.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here