Author Topic: fuel tank rattle  (Read 1533 times)

Offline gearman

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2924
fuel tank rattle
« on: November 08, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »
I finally studied why my converts tanks all rattled.  The whole concept of holding 30 pounds of mass with a rubber bungee that stretches 2 inches with 23 pounds of force is a joke. The bottom of my tank has wear points on it from the bouncing. When it was full it bounced less, but still a horrible design. I made a real hold down that eliminates all bouncing. I can't believe I have fought this problem for 20 years on all my converts.




Offline yogidozer

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2920
Re: fuel tank rattle
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:34:43 AM »
I saw your previous post, and advised to remove the tank and look for rub/wear spots. Many manufactures use that bungee system. Even when held tight, I think a rubber/foam cushion is a good idea.

Offline gearman

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2924
Re: fuel tank rattle
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:56:53 AM »
I still have the rubber cushions, but don't use the bungee to hold the tank tight against. I did the math and the bungee on the guzzis are not reliable.

Offline thomas

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 67
Re: fuel tank rattle
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »
Good design!
Funnily enough I've never had that problem on my two SP1000's (same frame & tank) or on my two 850 LeManses (same frame, different tank).
Guzzi riders represent the ragged fringe of motorcycling!
1980 Guzzi SP1000 & 1979 Guzzi 850 LeMans II
1969 Honda CB750 Four & 1971 CB750 Four & 1977 Seeley CB750F
1996 Yamaha YZF750SP
1983 Bimota KB-3
1966 Ducati 50 SL/1
1938 Miele 98cc & 1955? Miele 50cc

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here