Visit the Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Store
2017 V7 here.Anyone running heated gear?Is there enough charging overhead ?The specs are 75 watts on the jacket plus 34 watts for the gloves ( 9 amps ). This may be a bit overstated, as we're running 2 jackets/glove sets (2-up) on another bike with a 15 amp fuze and no issues.
A quick search shows a 270W alternator output for the V7. I doubt if that will pull the lights, ignition, and two heated jackets, but maybe it can be done. Lannis
We won't be 2-up on this one - so just one jacket/glove combo.Maybe I could just turn them on/off on/off on/off
Well, I do recommend the voltmeter. I installed new lights and an electronic ignition on my 1975 Norton, and kept the old alternator/rectifier/Zener-diode charging system, which is nominally 180 watts.The voltmeter showed that it was charging just fine. Since I ride it hundreds of miles from home, I wanted to know .... If you don't have SOME indicator, you'll never know ....Lannis
HA !I remember my California Vintage (unmodified factory motorcycle) - the first time that I switched on the running lights and rode an hour..... stopped for a coke and then went to leave, only to discover that the battery was flat. Replaced the bulbs with some lower wattage version. But I don't think that I ever used those lights again after that.
The exact same for me with my 07 calvin. <snip> No need to complain because it is what it is but it’s a shame that a modern motorcycle has this poor of engineering planning and forethought.
In the winter I routinely run a heated jacket and gloves on my 2013 Stone. No issues. But I think the earlier dry alternator has more output than the subsequent wet alternators. Never did understand why they made that change.
I was told that they bumped the wattage UP, so they could run ABS. Is that not so?
But the wattage went down?!?
I never checked the specs. Just what I was told, and it of course sounded correct.
"That's why the CARCs used a belt driven alternator, but the Tonti frame didn't have the room for that."It's possible.