Author Topic: Rollerisation of the 8V.  (Read 86319 times)

Offline katanaman

• New Egg
Re: Rollerisation of the 8V.
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2016, 12:59:41 AM »
sweet as, cant ask for more than that, thanks heaps for your assistance once again. and yes big tank, ABS and twin Lambda. I have one of Xltra maps at the moment, is the map your talking about specific to post rollerisation?

pete roper

« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2016, 01:07:17 AM »
You'll have to ask John. If it's a lambda off map it is very relevant as there are significant differences in the camming between the flat and roller cams. With lambda on, when it's running closed loop, it will try and trim around the differences. If the lambda is off it can't.

Pete

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:18 PM »
sweet as, cant ask for more than that, thanks heaps for your assistance once again. and yes big tank, ABS and twin Lambda. I have one of Xltra maps at the moment, is the map your talking about specific to post rollerisation?

The 33s map is the latest one. It's for a 2Lambda Roller. If you want to use it just pm me your email.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:40:09 PM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline katanaman

• New Egg
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »
Thanks, PM sent. BTW i am running a MIVV pipe without DB killer. would the map your talking about be appropriate or will i require a different map?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »
Any 8V will run much better with the dBk installed.

Pete

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2016, 01:10:04 AM »
Thanks, PM sent. BTW i am running a MIVV pipe without DB killer. would the map your talking about be appropriate or will i require a different map?

Got it. I'll mail you the map a little later. Got to go to work.
I only experimented briefly with no db killer. I found running without to be too loud for me so I never tried to adapt the map for that. My brief impression was that it didn't run any better, just slightly leaner on the AFR readout. But as I say, I didn't do any exhaustive (! :-) testing.
My compromise solution was to make my own db killer by welding the appropriate size ring around a shorter piece of stainless tube. It's still quite enough in town but has a nice sound under acceleration. And no negative effect on performance or AFR.
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Online steffen

• Hatchling
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »
My 2010 Griso with 20.000 km on the clock was due for service. I asked my mec to tear of the cams for inspection, although he thought it was a waste of time and money, because my valves was on spec and sounding fine.
This is what I saw

Now photos are send to the factory, hopefully they will accept the claim, but soon I'll have the rollers on.

I'd like to thank those of you, that insisted, that the flat tappets was doomed, Pete, Molly, Pauldaytona, Beetle to name a few...  :thumb: :thumb:

Just wanna add, that Moto Guzzi accepted my claim and paid for parts. Now I'm back rollerized and rolling.

My mec told me, that usually the danish importer had turned down claims for the wear, my tappets showed. But as I could send my mec pictures of other bikes with the same wear as mine, that had tappets replaced on the factorys account, there was no problem for my bike.
Thanks again.

pete roper

« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
The importer doesn't make the call. The factory does. If anyone is being told by an importer their claim is being knocked back without refference to the factory......well.. ....arse!

Online steffen

• Hatchling
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »
Now I know what I'll have my mec say to the importer  :grin: :grin:

Offline River Rat

• New Egg
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2016, 12:12:38 AM »
I'm a newbie to this forum, looking at purchasing a 2011-12 Stelvio 8V NTX, from what I have read on here and other forums the main issue of concern is the subject of this thread.  It seems that the info put out by Piaggio in regard to those motors supposedly with rollers (Stelvio AC : After AC12596 03/12/2012) is at best hit and miss.  Does anyone have any more sure way of telling for the 2012 bikes other than removal of a rocker cover?
I love the passion you guys have for these machines :thumb:
Cheers, John

2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX ABS
2007 Suzuki DR650 SE

pete roper

« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2016, 01:05:20 AM »
Nope, but pulling a rocker cover is a five minute job on a Stelvio, just don't  tug away at the plug caps, lever them up from underneath through the air tunnel above the exhaust manifold with a long screwdriver.

pete

Offline River Rat

• New Egg
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2016, 06:12:01 AM »
Thanks Pete
So once the lid is off what's the easiest way to tell if it has rollers?  It seems from the photos of your dismantle job that there's no way to look at the cam without removing the cam box, or am I missing something?  :blank:
I am familiar with valve adjustments on 2V Ducatis but this arrangement seems so much more complicated, albeit easier to adjust clearances!!, usually a weekend job on those (for me at least)
Thanks, John
2007 Suzuki DR650 SE

pete roper

« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2016, 06:20:42 AM »
There are numerous threads where pictures have been posted showing how to identify if the bike has flats or rollers. Next time at my PC I'll post them up, again.....

As for inspecting the cams and tappets? Yes, it takes half an hour to get a cambox out if you stop for a beer and pick your nose for a while. Complexity doesn't come into it although familiarity might. No you can't see the cams or tappets without taking the cambox off the head. It's not a big job. video is on the Ghetto.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2016, 06:55:37 AM »
Allow me:

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2016, 07:02:25 AM »
Here's another good shot of roller tappets:

These are factory rollers on my 2012 Stelvio, engine number 12998.

Cheers,
Shaun
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:02:58 AM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline River Rat

• New Egg
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
thanks guys
Sorry Pete, I'm not too good with the phone, shoulda been less of a slackarse and fired up the PC last night I guess  :violent1:!!!   
great pics Shaun  :thumb:, good to see them side by side
cheers, John
2007 Suzuki DR650 SE

pete roper

« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »

Offline Scottv8

• New Egg
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
Hello all,

just about to rollerise my 2008 Stelvio after a successful warranty claim.

Does anyone have any comment on the idea of not fitting the inlet valve spring shims please?

It seems like alot of extra work just to fit the four very thin shims and wondered if its a stage that can be ignored without any damage ensuing to the engine in future use?

Thank you in advance for your valued input.

pete roper

« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »
Do you not think that perhaps they were put in there for a reason?

For crying out loud if you're going to do the bloody job at least do it properly!

Offline Scottv8

• New Egg
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »
Alright, calm down, was merely asking a question.....jesus. :shocked:

I just dont understand what such a thin shim is likely to achieve, but if it offends you to answer then please dont  :undecided:

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »
Not sure how thick the shims are but they might be there for wear protection and not height adjustment. Maybe they are there to keep the hard spring from digging into the softer aluminum (assuming the springs would be resting on aluminum).
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Scottv8

• New Egg
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
not fitted from new, just in the roller conversion so dont think its a wear thing, but dont really know  :sad:

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »

My guess is that the slightly heavier rollers are a little more likely to float at higher revs. The shim may keep them from floating as badly.
So you can limit your RPM to under 6k, and not worry. But that would be hard to do. :evil:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:37:22 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

pete roper

« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
My guess is that the slightly heavier rollers are a little more likely to float at higher revs. The shim may keep them from floating as badly.
So you can limit your RPM to under 6k, and not worry. But that would be hard to do. :evil:

This. The fact that they are only fitted on the inlets would make one believe that the extra mass of the roller tappet alone wasn't sufficient to cause a problem but the extra mass of the larger inlet valves might make the situation marginal.

Given the fact that spring surge and the flat tappets actually leaving the face of the cam at certain points and engine speeds being a likely contributing factor to the flat tappet fiasco and the roller system suffering no such issues it would seem foolish to try and second guess the engineers who produced a bullet proof fix for the original, poorly engineered, problem.

Pete

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2016, 12:51:52 AM »
All newer engines had them fitted. With the same on the outlets. So there they  are less usefull. Else they had then fitted at the rollerset too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn mobiel

Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2016, 02:42:05 AM »
All newer engines had them fitted. With the same on the outlets. So there they  are less usefull. Else they had then fitted at the rollerset too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn mobiel

Maybe the engineers who did bullet proof fix know best, time will tell. Shame if"fixing" kits missed out on two shims.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:45:58 AM by jacksonracingcomau »

Offline Scottv8

• New Egg
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2016, 03:10:23 AM »
It seems that we will ever know for sure.

I will go the extra mile and stick them in, its just such a bloody hassle getting all the sodding tank and plastics off  :rolleyes:

Although after having the engine out 3 times now to sort the real main seal out, im pretty good at it, dont stop it being a pain though  :sad:

Ok, out into the cold I go, let the stripping commence.......the bike that is, not me  :grin:

pete roper

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2016, 03:20:55 AM »
Maybe the engineers who did bullet proof fix know best, time will tell. Shame if"fixing" kits missed out.

How much time do you want Martin?

Five years minimum since the flat tappet format was abandoned and the original, (In my opinion.) roller system was adopted there have been ZERO documented failures.

Keep on hating on the fact the world has left you behind. I wish you well in your misery.

Offline Scottv8

• New Egg
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2016, 03:33:59 AM »
Jesus Pete, chill out, what is wrong with you........ :undecided:

This is why I don't do clubs and rarely do forums, people need to lighten up a bit  :shocked:

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2016, 03:51:17 AM »
Jesus Pete, chill out, what is wrong with you........ :undecided:

This is why I don't do clubs and rarely do forums, people need to lighten up a bit  :shocked:

I edited my post for clarity, don't think Pete read post prior to mine. Paul said exhaust springs shimmed too on production engines. Maybe worth doing that too, if engineers did get it right ?

No dog in any fight, Pete's having a bad day, forgive him.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here